Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mrooney
Frequent Visitor

Use a column header as a slicer

Help this is driving me mad!

The powers that be are using a spreadsheet which shows project names along with timescales and then allocated hours per resource. The challenge is the resources are not in a column called resources but individual columns with hours underneath. Screenshot below

I presumed the way to go would be to create a separate tablet with the resource names in and link a relationship to the corresponding column but that didn't work. 

The goal here is to have a slicer allowing you to select say 'Toby' and it will show the projects he's working on and for how many hours

Hopefully I'm missing something really obvious...

Resources.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Mrooney

1) Go to the Query Editor - select both Project Name and Timelines Columns - Transform tab - Unpivot Other Columns

2) Rename Attribute column to Agent/Name (this will be your slicer Column) and Value column to Hours or sth...

3) Home tab - Close & Apply

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Mrooney

1) Go to the Query Editor - select both Project Name and Timelines Columns - Transform tab - Unpivot Other Columns

2) Rename Attribute column to Agent/Name (this will be your slicer Column) and Value column to Hours or sth...

3) Home tab - Close & Apply

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Hi Sean.  Thanks for your explanation, it solves the problem, but creates another.  You cannot use an unpivoted table to generate cross plots and slicer filters will only effectively act on a single measure taken from the tall-skinny data set.  How can you solve the problem without destroying this functionality?

Mrooney
Frequent Visitor

I could kiss you!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

MEGHNA
Regular Visitor

Hi I need help. My data is as below.

FunctionAdvisor 1Advisor 2Advisor 3
Death102030
Birth152535
Anniversary204050

My visual must first look like this

Image 1.jpg

I want a slicer with an option to choose the advisor group. Say I choose advisor group 1, the visual must change as below. Please help me 😞

Image 2.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.