Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Use a Slowly Changing Dimension (SCD), to allow a user to select 2 dates, and show the state at each

I've built a Slowly Change Dimension (sample below) that I use for various things. 

I'd like to utilize this table, to allow a user in Power BI to select 2 dates, and and have it show the Type, for each VendorID, circa the 2 dates chosen. 

So say the user chooses:

Date 1: 4/15/20
Date 2: 7/5/2020

000ebafb-970c-4342-9bd8-bd0ed4d4124c would show Check on both dates
00158b80-25ad-4962-b496-12862e0eec4c would show Check on both dates
0163841d-1d53-4e82-93c6-f74f76b4d822 would show Check on Date 1, and ACH on Date 2. 

Capture.PNG

I've done something similar before, with 2 harverster date tables, but that was to sum up a value based on a user chosen month. I'm not quite sure how to do a "return the row, for a given VendorID, closest to, but not beyond the data selected"...

Thoughts? 

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mmace1 , You might have use a independent date slicer means not join to your table or use crossfilter to remove join

measure =
var _min = minx(allselected(Date),Date[Date])
var _max = maxx(allselected(Date),Date[Date])
return
calculate(count(Table[vendorId]), filter(Table, Table[CM_validfrom]>=_min && Table[CM_validtoMe] <=_max))
or
measure =
var _min = minx(allselected(Date),Date[Date])
var _max = maxx(allselected(Date),Date[Date])
return
calculate(count(Table[vendorId]), filter(allselected(Table), Table[CM_validfrom]>=_min && Table[CM_validtoMe] <=_max))

Use of crossJoin - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks. Wouldn't that return a count of rows, as opposed to the data from a certain row, though? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.