Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

User5231
Helper II
Helper II

Use a List as a table filter in DAX

Is it possible to essentially use a table/ list to filter a another table in dax? 

Right now I have a table that has material and a pegged material. Each material in the table can have multiple pegged materials, so first I store a calculated table that's got the pegged materials related to the material in the given row

Var list = summarize(filter(table, material = earlier(material), pegged material)

Then I want to return a table where the material is only the pegged material list above... Something like...

Var peggedtable = summarize (filter(table, only material in list), material)

Is this possible? I can't seem to get it to work. Tried naturalinnerjoin, crossjoin with no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
User5231
Helper II
Helper II

Well I solved it. For anyone curious. Natural InnerJoin was the solution after all, just needed to fix the data lineage. Worked great after that.

Solution.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
User5231
Helper II
Helper II

Also, to simplify this further, I moved the naturalinnerjoin to the filter in table 1.

This is a one man thread but I could not find a solution to pass a list as a filter in dax anywhere. Everything directed you to power query or discretely listing out the filters. Hopefully someone can find some use here besides me. 

I discovered an even easier solution is to use the in Operator. If you have a list defined as a signle column variable, you can use the in operator to filter the table using the desired column list you have, whether is it explicit or gererated from a dax expression. Super handy.

User5231
Helper II
Helper II

Well I solved it. For anyone curious. Natural InnerJoin was the solution after all, just needed to fix the data lineage. Worked great after that.

Solution.png

User5231
Helper II
Helper II

To be Clearer, Right now I am explicity calling out up to 10 variables to filter the Table. This seems clunky and it could miss a value if the pegged materials exceed 10 per material.

2021-10-23 18_07_55-Window.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.