Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Visual as a Filter for another visual

Hello,

I have this visual on the top of a page, and I would like to filter a news feed (on the bottom of the page), when you press the YYYYMM (circled in Red).  How would I go about that?  Thanks.

MktIntGraph.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

Do you have the filter direction defined correctly?

It should be either of these

1. GraphTable->Datetable->newsfeed 

2. If Datetable is a dimension(ideally it should) then the arrows should be Datetable->Graphtable and Datetable->Newsfeed. Then your graph Yearmth should be from Datetable.

3. All the filter direction should be bidirectional if it is not giving circular reference error.

For you to slice from the graph with relationship defined as Graphtbl->datetbl and Newsfeed->Datetbl as you mentioned, make the filter direction as bidirection(Approach 3). If you get circular reference error(i don't know what other tables you have), follow approach 2.

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

You have to enable the filter option in Edit interactions.

Refer to this documentation

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

If this helps, mark it as a solution.

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

I did try adjusting the interacation, and they were already turned on.  

I'm thinking now it might be the way the tables are linked.  

When I select one of the YearMth from the graph ,it doesn't Filter the news feed, even though the two tables that populate each visual are linked to a mutual "Date" table like this:

Relationships:

GraphTbl(YearMth) DateTbl(YearMth)
NewsFeed(YearMth)DateTbl(YearMth)

Shouldn't this type of relationship allow them to filter each other?  Or do they have to be directly linked, which I can't do, because it would be a many-to-many relationship.

@Anonymous 

Do you have the filter direction defined correctly?

It should be either of these

1. GraphTable->Datetable->newsfeed 

2. If Datetable is a dimension(ideally it should) then the arrows should be Datetable->Graphtable and Datetable->Newsfeed. Then your graph Yearmth should be from Datetable.

3. All the filter direction should be bidirectional if it is not giving circular reference error.

For you to slice from the graph with relationship defined as Graphtbl->datetbl and Newsfeed->Datetbl as you mentioned, make the filter direction as bidirection(Approach 3). If you get circular reference error(i don't know what other tables you have), follow approach 2.

If this helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked.  I did #2 and #3 and works perfectly.  Thank you so much.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.