Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

marcos_osorio
Helper II
Helper II

Use Slicer value as Variable

Hi, i want to have a table with calculated columns, in one column I set the value to 1 if the value is related with another table. 

This works perfect but its not ver y dynamic. 

So i want to know if there is a way to set for example a Slicer and use that value in the calculated column. 

I mean, to use the slicer selection in the calculated column of the table.

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I thought it wasn't possible because PowerBI can't really handle user input data. Even though it has problems, at least it's possible 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Yeah, this is possible. I've used it as a janky way to set up input variables on a report before.  The trick is using SELECTEDVALUE to get one value out of a list of values.

You have to explicity declare all the values that the SLICER value can be, but it works.  If you wanted to get a percentage of a value in Table1 with a slicer you could do the following:

Create a table of values 0-100 called "SlicerValues".  Create a slicer that slices SlicerValues[value].  Create a measure or calculated column in Table1 as appropriate with code like:

Portion of Data = Table1[Value]*SELECTEDVALUE(SlicerValues[value])/100

This has limitations, like the slicer only has whatever range you set as available, but gets the job done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Cmcmahan  this is same what i am doing but is it possible to get more than 1 value is stored and used in measure. I have explained in below thread if you can provide some input that will be very helpful.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Slicer-with-position-of-choice-to-see-what-user-has-selecte...

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that's a great way of solving this problem. Didn't know about it! 

As it turns out, I was wrong hahaha

It's super unreliable, and doesn't work well unless you can enumerate all the values possible for the selection.  PowerBI just isn't generally meant for on the fly dynamic calculations based on a value the report viewer sets.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I thought it wasn't possible because PowerBI can't really handle user input data. Even though it has problems, at least it's possible 

Anonymous
Not applicable

As of now, I don't think it's possible. Maybe in a future update. 

But I may be wrong! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.