Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mike86
Regular Visitor

Use Power Query to restructure a wide table into a narrow one grouped by product

Hi,

I'm looking to transform a very wide table (with 490 columns!) into a narrow one. At the moment, my table has four columns of general data, and then 54 columns for each of 9 different products, all side by side. This is a simplistic representation:

From.PNG

Where the different colours show the grouping of three different products:

Products.PNG

My goal is to transform this in Power Query into a table that is 58 columns wide (the four columns of general data and then 54 columns of product data), with each product stacked vertically on top of each other. Again, here is the representation:

To.PNG

I've tried transposing the data, unpivoting and re-pivoting the data and can't get anything to work. I'd be really grateful for any advice the forum may have!

Best wishes,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mike86 here it is , you can tweak as you see fit.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Mike86 can you share sample data and that will help to provide the solution.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Appreciate you looking at this. Here's a link to the demo data:

Dropbox File

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,

Michael

@Mike86 here it is , you can tweak as you see fit.

Many thanks - a very neat solution. Really appreciate your help!

M

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.