Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Power BI to build SharePoint Online Site Usage Statistics

Hi Community,

I am looking to find a way to get the SharePoint Online site usage data for site pages and files posted like total views, unique views etc.

After googling a bit- i came across solutions using Adobe analytics or Google analytics or Azure application Insights or even using Power shell to download audit logs etc. but none seem to detail steps to bring this to fruition.

Can anybody suggest or guide me in the right direction to complete this task?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous 

The security and compliance section is part of the O365 Admin portal.  
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/search-the-audit-log-in-security-and-compliance?redirectSourcePath=%252fen-us%252farticle%252fSearch-the-audit-log-in-the-Office-365-Security-Compliance-Center-0d4d0f35-390b-4518-800e-0c7ec95e946c&view=o365-worldwide

You don't necessarily need Powershell to get the data - you can simply export it from the S&C page directly.  (see linked post).   However, if you wanted to later automate the process - you would look to set up some scripts.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous 

Sounds like your question is more about exporting Sharepoint Usage data than about Power BI Desktop. 

I believe you would likely best capture usage data from Sharepoint by exporting it from the Office 365 Security and Compliance section.  You'll need at least read only access to from your O365 admin.  With proper credentials you could also likely do this with Powershell cmdlets.  

Once you pull the data - stage it somewhere and pull it into Power BI. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@swise001

Yes, exporting that data from SharePoint online to be able to analyse in Power BI is the ask.

Do you mean Report reader's access in Microsoft 365 Admin Centre or is Office 365 Security and Compliance section different?

Also, would you know of a link detailing the steps- i have no exposure to PowerShell so kind of apprehensive.

swise001
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous 

The security and compliance section is part of the O365 Admin portal.  
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/search-the-audit-log-in-security-and-compliance?redirectSourcePath=%252fen-us%252farticle%252fSearch-the-audit-log-in-the-Office-365-Security-Compliance-Center-0d4d0f35-390b-4518-800e-0c7ec95e946c&view=o365-worldwide

You don't necessarily need Powershell to get the data - you can simply export it from the S&C page directly.  (see linked post).   However, if you wanted to later automate the process - you would look to set up some scripts.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.