Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TimQ
Helper I
Helper I

Use DAX to transpose column values based on relative date

I need to transpose or unpivot text values into separate columns based on relative date. My data looks like this:

Unique IDDateComment
17/1/2019aaaaa
18/1/2019bbbbb
19/1/2019ccccc
27/1/2019ddddd
28/1/2019eeeee
29/1/2019fffff
37/1/2019ggggg
38/1/2019hhhhh
39/1/2019iiiii

I need to create separate columns that return the most recent, 2nd most recent, third most recent values in the Comment column based on the Date field per Unique ID. My end result would look something like this:

Unique IDMost Recent Comment2nd Most Recent CommentThird Most Recent Comment
1cccccbbbbbaaaaa
2fffffeeeeeddddd
3iiiiihhhhhggggg

I realize that the easiest way to address this is with the Query Editor, but unique circumstances require me to use DAX and calculated columns only. 

How would I go about creating these calculated columns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TimQ 

Did you try Matrix?

06.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TimQ 

Try below M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VczLCYAwEIThXuYciBsPmlrCHnxr/w3oRNhs/tPAB1MKBAFTlJgGyd9cGDT8MDdYmUFusLEKqb/amYG7OpiBuzpZhbG/upiBu7qZgbt6GFRf", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Unique ID" = _t, Date = _t, Comment = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Unique ID", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Comment", type text}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Date", type text}}, "en-US"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"Date", type text}}, "en-US")[Date]), "Date", "Comment")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

03.PNG

Pbix attached.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thanks. This solution seems like it would work but due to a weird network circumstance I am unable to transform my data table in the query editor, so my solution would have to be executed as a series of DAX calculated columns in a visual.

Hi @TimQ 

Did you try Matrix?

06.PNG

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.