Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use DAX expressions to set parameters?

Can you use DAX expressions to set parameters? Basically, I have a very large multi year detailed data set and a summary query. What I would like to do is use the summary query to present information and use any selections that are made in a direct query to the detail records. I figured this is best done by setting selections as parameters to be used in the direct query but I can't tell if it works yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

PowerQuery queries are creating the "1st level" of the data model, the "2nd" level is created by something than can be considered as model processing, this "materializes" all the calculated column that have been added using DAX.

Finally a user interacts with the model (2nd level) by selecting values from a slicer, etc ...

These interactions can not be passed down to the levels that have been creating the data model. This explains why a measure can not be used inside a calculated column. From a technical point of view this is possibel, but the value of the calculated column will not change if the the measure will change, e.g. by a user interaction with the data model.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

unfortunately it's not possible to pass the value from any DAX statement to a parameter that is used to fetch data from a data source.

This in a way would be result into some kind of circular dependency.

As a data refresh, meaning "reading" data from a datasource, creates the basis for any DAX statements.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see how this could be an issue if I was using DAX to pass a parameter to the same query I used the DAX on, but I was hoping to taking selections from slicers/visuals built based off of query A, set it as a paramater, and use that in query B.

Hey,

PowerQuery queries are creating the "1st level" of the data model, the "2nd" level is created by something than can be considered as model processing, this "materializes" all the calculated column that have been added using DAX.

Finally a user interacts with the model (2nd level) by selecting values from a slicer, etc ...

These interactions can not be passed down to the levels that have been creating the data model. This explains why a measure can not be used inside a calculated column. From a technical point of view this is possibel, but the value of the calculated column will not change if the the measure will change, e.g. by a user interaction with the data model.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.