Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

V3GAS
Helper I
Helper I

Use Allocated Accounting to Split Project Online Timesheet Actual Work

In our Project Online environment, we have project-level fields to capture Cost Centers (CC#'s 1-10)2018-07-17_16-19-47.jpg

And for each Cost Center that is added to the project, a field that allocates the percentage to the corresponding cost center is used.

2018-07-17_16-30-31.jpg

We want to be able to allocate each resource's timesheet actual work hours to appropriate Cost Centers for each scenario:

1. One Cost Center is designated to the project, 100% of actual work hours from timesheets are allocated that cost center. (Example from above: DirectProjectTest allocates to CC 126101-428000-EN)
  2. More than one Cost Center is designated to the project, and each timesheet line actual work hours split up to each cost center based on % allocation (CCPercent field). (Example from above: MML Test 01 allocates to 4 Cost Centers with percentages of 25%, 30%, 20% 25%)

What is the best way to show each timesheet line with allocated actual work hours by project task?

1. And just to throw a wrench in a solution, if a task level Task Cost Center field is not blank and has a cost center number, the task would override the project level Cost Center and be fully allocated to the Task Cost Center.
5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @V3GAS,

What does the original data look like? Can you share it? To be honest, your requirement here seems easy. It could be [work hours] * [percentage].

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dale,

I would think the calculation would be easy enough, but how would I take one resource's timesheet line with actual work hours to split it into multiple lines that have the percentages allocated to each cost center accordingly?

Here is a link to my .pbix file: PBI End Month Report 

Hi @V3GAS,

Please don't share sensitive data here. 

I would suggest you do some adjustments in the table [Projects]. Please refer to the attachment for details, the new table [Projects_new].

Measure = SUM(TimesheetLines[Actual Work]) * sum(Projects_new[CC_P_Value])

Use_Allocated_Accounting_to_Split

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft Dale,

This is great to allocate project cumulative actual work by cost center, but what I am trying to accomplish at the timesheet line level is to display a table showing all timesheet lines in a certain month that splits the resources' actual work for a project based on the cost center and number of cost centers using the CCPercent fields.

Using your example for the 0620 PR Complex project with the following cost center percentage allocations:

2018-07-20_9-37-50.jpg

Instead of showing a cumulative view of actual work for the project by cost center:

2018-07-20_9-47-23.jpg

Display a table that takes a resource's actual work from timesheets and split them into separate lines for each cost center from this:

2018-07-20_9-40-34.jpg

To this:

2018-07-20_9-49-25.jpg

And just to throw a big wrench into the mix... If the 0620 PR Complex project schedule's task, Conduct needs analysis, has a task-level field that is not blank (field name: Task Cost Center), the entire actual work for that task would be allocated to the cost center that is listed in the Task Cost Center field and ignore the project-level cost centers. So all other tasks in the 0620 PR Complex project that has actual work reported would follow the allocations at the project-level, but the tasks where the Task Cost Center is not blank would have actual work allocated to the one cost center in that task-level field.

2018-07-20_10-02-03.jpg

What is the best way to accomplish this?

@v-jiascu-msft...  Any thoughts or ideas on these requirements to have the above data displayed?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.