Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Thiyagu
Helper III
Helper III

Usage Metrics not working

Hi All,

I have uploaded the report in one of our App Workspaces (Premium).

In that workspace, there are 4 reports and we can able to see usage metrics for 3 reports and one of my report uploaded by myself still show Blank.

I have uploaded 4 days back and many users visited as well.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
rnichols901
Employee
Employee

As of 3/25/2020,  usage metrics have not updated since 3/21.   Can anyone help?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Thiyagu,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at official document limitation part:

Usage metrics for dashboards and reports

Considerations and limitations

Q: I can't run usage metrics on a dashboard or report
A: You can only see usage metrics for content you own or have permissions to edit.

Q: Will usage metrics capture views from embedded dashboards and reports?
A: Usage metrics currently does not support capturing usage for embedded dashboards and reports, including the user owns data flow, the app owns data flow and the publish to web flow. In those cases, we recommend using existing web analytics platforms to track usage for the hosting app or portal.

Q: I can't run usage metrics on any content at all.
A1: Admins can turn off this feature for their organization. Contact your Admin to see if this is the case.
A2: Usage metrics is a Power BI Pro feature.+

Q: The data doesn't seem up-to-date. For example, distribution methods don't show up, report pages are missing, etc.
A: It can take up to 24 hours for data to update.

Q: There are four reports in the workspace but the usage metrics report only displays 3.
A: The usage metrics report only includes reports (or dashboards) that have been accessed in the past 90 days. If a report (or dashboard) does not show up, likely it hasn't been used in more than 90 days.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

I agree with the limitations, but for this report i can able to see Usage metrics last week. I have made some changes to the report and uploaded a new version of the same report 5 days back. Now its showing completely Blank.. I'm pretty sure, more than 50 users access this report on daily basis, so it should reflect view count till yesterday right? 

It may be silly, my report have scheduled refresh ON. Other three reports dont have scheduled refresh option

Thanks,

Thiyagu

Usage Metrics never really worked in Power BI.  I have reports that were published by me to users that are normal and the reports are simple, and it still shows ZERO views.  I think the way it really tracks usage is you have to hang out in the report for more than 2 minutes or something.  There is some metric it uses to "Count" as a view.  I have never ever seen anything valid in the usage reports even for reports that show some people in there, it never shows nearly all the people that actually viewed the report.  If it did, I would see hundreds more views for our daily activity reports, but I see tens of people in there.  It never worked.  It would be nice if it actually worked, but it never has.

Hi @Thiyagu,

For previous missing data, I think it may caused by recent usage metrics issue.

Power Bi Support

Power BI usage metrics for reports are missing data from 1/19 to 2/7. As a workaround, the Power BI audit logs can be used to determine report usage during this period of time. Usage data for reports is complete before 1/19 and after 2/7. Usage metrics for dashboards is unaffected.

>> I have made some changes to the report and uploaded a new version of the same report 5 days back. Now its showing completely Blank.. I'm pretty sure, more than 50 users access this report on daily basis, so it should reflect view count till yesterday right? 

I also not so clear for the reason of missing data, maybe you can submit a support ticket to contact power bi team to check on this feature.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.