Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Urgent! How could I use a related function with a many to many relationship with a slicer

Hi All,

I have the following issue. 

TableA: "Table P&L" and Table B: "Fx Rate" are linked by relationship by Currency 

in the Matrix I want to compare by Staff vs Time Period for example. and restated the amounts into EURO and I want to have a dynamic choice in the slicer to let the user pick which period of FX rate to translate into EURO. ( I don't want to increase the number of rows in my background queries because I have so many rows and it will become very large and slow.) 

2018          2019            2020 
Staff
rent
Total 

e.g. Table A (P&L Table)

Country     Month   Year      CCY       Tx Currency Amount         Cost Type
Japan              10       2020      JPY              17591                          Staff

Japan                11   2019      JPY              165426                         Rent 

Germany          10    2020      EUR             264                              Staff

UK                    11    2019      GBP             235                               Rent
UK                    11    2020       GBP             232                              Rent

China                10     2020       CNY             195235                        Staff

FX Rate Table (with the amount translated to Euro)
Month  Year     FX (CCY/EUR)             CCY
10        2019             1.13                   USD
11       2019      (I dont want to type the details here   ..)
12        2019
10         2020
11         2020
12          2020
I have the following measure written: 

Last Year =
CALCULATE(SUMX('P&L','P&L'[Transaction currency amount]/RELATED('Fx Rate'[FX])), FILTER(ALL(........

bascially i filter by month and year at the end which is not very important.
The formula works fine when I tried to filter the FX rate table in the query to force the relationship to become a one-to-many relationship with the P&L table. However, the related function of course does not work when the relationship is many to many. 

In short, my question is, is there a way to make the related () function works?? My aim was to make the fx rate one to many relationship with the help of the slicer when the user picks any one value of month.. 
thanks a lot! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , related will not work for Mant to many

Try if relatedtable can work  -- Not tested this

Maxx(relatedtable('Fx Rate'),'Fx Rate'[FX])

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , related will not work for Mant to many

Try if relatedtable can work  -- Not tested this

Maxx(relatedtable('Fx Rate'),'Fx Rate'[FX])

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worksss!!! thank you soooo much. You are a life saver. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.