Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tobkres
Helper II
Helper II

Urgent: Help with creating a better date function, that round up and down to full months.

Hey community. Please help fix my date formula below.

I have a question for the formula below that i have used to see financial data comparisons going back to "previous period", which basically means that the selected date range going back in time by the same selected date range.

Revenue last period = 
VAR PeriodEnd = FIRSTDATE(Dates[Date])-1
VAR PeriodStart =
    PeriodEnd -
    DATEDIFF (
        FIRSTDATE(Dates[Date]),
        LASTDATE(Dates[Date]),
        DAY
    )
VAR Result = 
    CALCULATE(
        [Revenue],
        DATESBETWEEN(
            Dates[Date],
            PeriodStart,PeriodEnd
        )
)        
RETURN
    Result

The issue is that on some type of dates it works, and on others it doesn't, (depends on how many days in between)

If i select third quarter (european date setting) - (01/07/2022) - (30/09/2022) then it outputs a number i don't understand.

If i however remove the (-1) from the

FIRSTDATE(Dates[Date])-1

Then it outputs the "semi" correct number from 01/04/2022 - 01/07/2022 - however it should use end date 30/06/2022 instead of 01/07/2022. 

That's the first part of the problem.

The second part is, if i select dates from (01/01/2022) - (30/06/2022), it should use the date range (01/07/2021 - 31/12/2021).

The date difference is 180 days, which results in = (05/07/2021) - (01/01/2022) - HOWEVER that "semi" works if i input the (-1) again

FIRSTDATE(Dates[Date])-1

Then it selects (05/07/2021) - (31/12/2021), again it should round to nearest month in this case to (01/07/2021) - (31/12/2021)

To my knowledge i cannot use the Datesinperiod function, because the specified dates in Power bi can be selected manually, when they need quarter report they just put in the quarter dates they want, and when they want to see half year, they just put in half year.

Can there be done anything to the function that makes it work all around, no matter what date is selected? It basically just needs to round to nearest month, and take into consideration of the "end month".

Thanks a lot in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
tobkres
Helper II
Helper II

Can anyone assist please. We are willing to pay if necessary.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tobkres , refer if this logic can help

Same Date range last period =
var _diff = datediff(MIN('Date'[date]),max('Date'[date]),DAY)
var _p_st_date = MINX('Date',DATEADD('Date'[date],-1*_diff,Day))-1
var _p_end_date = MAXX('Date',DATEADD('Date'[date],-1*_diff,Day))-1
Return
CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),all('Date'[date]),'Date'[date]>=_p_st_date && 'Date'[date]<= _p_end_date
)

Thank you for helping @amitchandak . But the formula retrives the same result.

With previous formula

tobkres_0-1670319719234.png

With your formula

tobkres_1-1670319734775.png

The correct value that should be displayed is 01-04-2022 - 30-06-2022

tobkres_2-1670319819383.png

Somehow we need the formula to count number of days between the dates in full months selected.

I found out i could make a datediff in months, but that would just return the number 3, and if i use that in the formula, it would only go 3 days back.

If that makes sense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.