Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cristianml
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Upload folder to combine one query

Hi,

I would like to get only one query with a Specific Name when I upload a folder that has many Excel files but with same format.

For the moment I use UNION to combine the files but I don't want to see every single Excel files in Fields, just the combined one.

How can be done ?

Thanks and regards. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cristianml,

After you use Folder connector in Power BI Desktop to import data, you can right-click on the Content column and choose "Remove Other columns" in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, then expand the Content column to combine data of all excel files in a single query.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cristianml,

After you use Folder connector in Power BI Desktop to import data, you can right-click on the Content column and choose "Remove Other columns" in Query Editor of Power BI Desktop, then expand the Content column to combine data of all excel files in a single query.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia,

Now I can manage this. The only thing i didn't know is that Folder option only works for excel files with same tab name. 

Thanks and regards !

By default it expects the same sheet name. But you can edit the code to refer to the relative sheet. Eg Source{0}[Data] will select the first sheet. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Read my article here. https://exceleratorbi.com.au/combine-excel-workbooks-power-query-method-1/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.