Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shhafiz
Employee
Employee

Upload Static CSV and do not Refresh

I am working with a cloud data source and I have created a static CSV file to support the queries which I uploaded from my local machine using PowerBI desktop. Unfortunately, the data being local to my machine fails to refresh. I do not need this file to refresh as the contents are static. How can I upload this file from Power BI desktop and not have it auto refresh.

I am already aware of couple of solutions:

1) Host the CSV in cloud, such as One Drive

2) Use Power BI gateway for files local to working computer.

Since I do not need any refresh of the data, is there a different way to do this istead of engaging external data sources?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shhafiz,

Based on your description, you want to configure schedule refresh for another dataset. If you connect to on-premises data sources in this dataset, you should firstly add all the data sources within on-premises gateway, then go to Settings->Datasets and find your dataset in Power BI Service, you will be able to schedule refresh for that dataset.

If you still have questions about refresh, please post the screenshot about your scenario, we need to know the data sources contained in your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@shhafiz,

I am not very clear about your scenario. Do you connect to local CSV file in Power BI Desktop, create report in Power BI Desktop and publish the report to Power BI Service? If that is the case, as long as you don't set schedule refresh for your dataset in Service, the dataset will not be automatically refreshed.

And if you still have questions about refresh in Power BI, please post screenshots about your scenario so that we can provide you better suggestions.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Yes, you have described my scenario correctly. The problem is I have another dataset which is set for scheduled refresh. My anticipation was, when I publish to Power Bi service after connecting to local file, it would show up somewhere in the Web view and I should be able to configure it. Unfortunately, I do not see it listed anywhere. 

How can I configure the settings to refresh the other data source but not the one connected from local machine.

Thanks.

@shhafiz,

Based on your description, you want to configure schedule refresh for another dataset. If you connect to on-premises data sources in this dataset, you should firstly add all the data sources within on-premises gateway, then go to Settings->Datasets and find your dataset in Power BI Service, you will be able to schedule refresh for that dataset.

If you still have questions about refresh, please post the screenshot about your scenario, we need to know the data sources contained in your dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.