Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jimmmythomas

Updating my power bi page when i update my excel

Hi all,

I need help updating my power bi page when i update my excel. My excel is stored in a folder on my desktop and i am using power bi desktop. I need to update my excel weekly and have it reflected over in my power bi. Right now when i update my excel and click the refresh data button which is located in the 3 dots next to the table name, the new data does not sync over from excel to power bi. Is there another way to do this and be able to update my power bi when i add more data to my excel sheet 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Jimmmythomas 

1) If you are trying to refresh from PBI Desktop you refresh by clicking on the "Refresh" icon in the Home ribbon:

Refresh.JPG

2) If you want to automate the PBI refresh process, you can do so by installing a Gateway on our machine (it has to be on for the refresh to work) and setting the refresh schedule in the PBI service for your uploaded report 
Check:
On premises Gateways 

3) Alternatively you can host your Excel file in Onedrive for Business and the refresh will be automatic (no gateway needed). This works for reports uploaded to the service (not Desktop)
Excel Data source on Onedrive 

Microsoft doc on Onedrive for business and Excel 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Jimmmythomas 

1) If you are trying to refresh from PBI Desktop you refresh by clicking on the "Refresh" icon in the Home ribbon:

Refresh.JPG

2) If you want to automate the PBI refresh process, you can do so by installing a Gateway on our machine (it has to be on for the refresh to work) and setting the refresh schedule in the PBI service for your uploaded report 
Check:
On premises Gateways 

3) Alternatively you can host your Excel file in Onedrive for Business and the refresh will be automatic (no gateway needed). This works for reports uploaded to the service (not Desktop)
Excel Data source on Onedrive 

Microsoft doc on Onedrive for business and Excel 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Without seeing exactly what you're doing when you say you "update my excel", it's hard to suggest a solution, if your Excel file is in any sort of sensible structure there's no reason why a simple refresh in Desktop wouldn't work, unless you're making a new Excel file with a different name, different worksheet name etc each week, which could probably be worked around in Power Query

Hi thank you for the response. I am simply adding data into my already made columns and it is not syncing over to power bi. Is the correct way to click on the 3 dots on the table name and select refresh data?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.