Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TrentS
Advocate II
Advocate II

Updating existing SharePoint Connection to V2

Good day to all,

Is there an easy way to convert from an older V1 connection to the V2 without having to reset all of the subsequent steps? 

The V1 is incredibly slow and we need a faster refresh solution.

I tried modifying the original to match the new string ([Implementation="2.0", ViewMode="All"])) through the Transform but it errors out.

TrentS_0-1642457234926.png

Please note that I have found this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SharePoint-list-query-alternative-or-optimization/m-p/10926...
However, it does not cover a conversion but new connections as far as I can tell. (I also followed the other links and Vids from there with the same observation.)

Anyone have a valid solution that would save me many hours of work to reset and match the existing connection/steps?
Thanks,

Trent

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I assume v1 and v2 are returning different columns, so you are getting downstream errors. Instead of rebuilding your queries, you can do the following:

• make a new query with the v2 connector
  • do any steps to get the data looking just like one of the steps in your original query
  • copy the new steps from the Advanced Editor and paste them over the first steps of your existing query (updating any references between steps)
  • Delete the new query you copied the new M code from.

With this approach, it is the original query that is still loading, and you won't have to re-make your relationships either.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I assume v1 and v2 are returning different columns, so you are getting downstream errors. Instead of rebuilding your queries, you can do the following:

• make a new query with the v2 connector
  • do any steps to get the data looking just like one of the steps in your original query
  • copy the new steps from the Advanced Editor and paste them over the first steps of your existing query (updating any references between steps)
  • Delete the new query you copied the new M code from.

With this approach, it is the original query that is still loading, and you won't have to re-make your relationships either.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat  Thank you.

I will try out that method. I did discover a couple of other items that could be affecting the refresh but I certainly want to update the connection. As you suspected, some column information is mismatching now,
so there is some effort there in the schema.

Thanks again,

Trent

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.