Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating a Changing Data Source File Name

Hi all,

I have a client's web folder where daily .csv's are uploaded. The .csv files are identical in structure - all that changes is date at the beginning of the file name, which is always YYYYMMDD. They would like to have a dashboard that updates with the new daily file automatically, which I'm struggling to do. As an example, the predicament looks like this:

- On Day 1 I need to access clientwebsite.com/20180423_Data.csv

- On Day 2 I need to access clientwebsite.com/20180424_Data.csv

- On Day 3 I need to access clientwebsite.com/20180425_Data.csv

Any ideas / thoughts on how I might do this?

TIA,

SamB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I highligted the part of the code you were missing.

let
Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(
    let today = DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow()) in
    "https://https://www.clientsite.com/" &  
    Number.ToText(Date.Year(today)) &
    Text.PadStart(Number.ToText(Date.Month(today)),2,"0") & 
    Text.PadStart(Number.ToText(Date.Day(today)),2,"0") & 
    "_users_per_country.csv"), [Delimiter=";", Columns=2, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}})

in
#"Changed Type"

The use  of the code is to replace your URL with something dynamic while the remaining parts of your Source variable remain untouched.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @danextian,

supposed there is no report for the day, will your code pick up the latest source file? Would it possible to use advanced editor to look for a specific string that is constant in the file name, say for example *users_per_country.csv?

Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous ,

supposed there is no report for the day, will your code pick up the latest source file?
What is your criterion for the latest data source? (filename, date modified, date created?) 

Would it possible to use advanced editor to look for a specific string that is constant in the file name, say for example 
*users_per_country.csv?

It is possible. You can filter the table to rows that ends with a specific text string. 

Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, each Text.End([Column], "users_per_country.csv"))

M is case sensitive so if your file name is not always in the same case, you can try this:

Table.SelectRows(PreviousStep, each Text.End(Text.Lower([Column]), "users_per_country.csv"))

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @danextian,

That's working perfectly now. Thank you so much for your help - it is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sam

You're welcome. 

Your csv.document is incomplete... Delimiter=";", Columns=2, Encoding=1252..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.