Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updating Dimensions Table

I have my Facts Table. I also have Dimentions Tables created by Get Data: Excel Workbook (this workbook includes data that is exported from our software app containing my 7 Dimensions (7 relevant Columns).  
First I made a total of 7 copies and reduced the columns to each have data relevant to my 7 'Dimensions': DIM Site, DIM Tariff, DIM Location, etc. 
The data within changes on a monthly bases. 
What is the process of updating my Dimension Tables (DIM Site, DIM Tariff, etc) 

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What about the dimension tables? They are generally not updated very frequently, and this would typically be a manual process. However, due to the importance of the dimension tables and the role they place in our data model, it’s critical that there is a simple and robust method for updating this data. For example, we wouldn’t want to accidentally add a duplicate record to our Stores or Product Category table, as it will skew the results and mess up our reporting.

Due to the importance of the data, dimension tables are often considered part of an organization’s Master Data. Master Data Management can become a complex undertaking as organizations grow, requiring major effort to implement. However, for many organizations, a simple, but controlled way to update records in tables in a SQL database is sufficient. One way of doing this is with SQL Spreads.

More details: Power BI Fact and Dimension Tables 

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Updating dimension tables using SQL Server (BIDs or Data Tools) 

• The usual way to do things is to have a package which pulls out your Dimension data from your source system(s), and then load any new rows into your Dimension table. Then, when your Fact table load happens later in the process you look-up the ID column from the Dimension using the town name. Your Fact data should then be loaded into the Fact table with the ID for the relevant town as one of its column values.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What about the dimension tables? They are generally not updated very frequently, and this would typically be a manual process. However, due to the importance of the dimension tables and the role they place in our data model, it’s critical that there is a simple and robust method for updating this data. For example, we wouldn’t want to accidentally add a duplicate record to our Stores or Product Category table, as it will skew the results and mess up our reporting.

Due to the importance of the data, dimension tables are often considered part of an organization’s Master Data. Master Data Management can become a complex undertaking as organizations grow, requiring major effort to implement. However, for many organizations, a simple, but controlled way to update records in tables in a SQL database is sufficient. One way of doing this is with SQL Spreads.

More details: Power BI Fact and Dimension Tables 

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

Updating dimension tables using SQL Server (BIDs or Data Tools) 

• The usual way to do things is to have a package which pulls out your Dimension data from your source system(s), and then load any new rows into your Dimension table. Then, when your Fact table load happens later in the process you look-up the ID column from the Dimension using the town name. Your Fact data should then be loaded into the Fact table with the ID for the relevant town as one of its column values.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Polly, 

Thank you for your comprehensive answer although please tell whether there is any alternative way of updating the Dimensional tables?
Many thanks,
Jola

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.