Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

12scml
Resolver I
Resolver I

Updating Dataset with Removed Columns

Hi everyone!

I have been working with Power BI for just about a month now but am having some difficulties with updating my data. When I originally uploaded my table, it had 9 columns:

Capture.PNG.
Since Grey and Orange were never the correct colours to be used, I deleted them from the file. So now, the document appears as:

Capture2.PNG.

But now when I'm trying to refresh the data, even though the columns Orange and Purple were empty, I'm getting an error that says
"Expression.Error: The column 'Orange' of the table wasn't found."

Is there any way I can still update the data even though the original data had the extra columns? It would be a pain to have to manually add the columns Orange and Grey every time I wanted to refresh my data. 

Thanks!

UPDATE: The reason it said Expression.Error is because it was still trying to change the type of Orange and Grey, so I just modified the "Chahnged Type" Step. The new Error is:

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Column 'Year for Seller' in the table 'Colour Sellers' cannot be found or may not be used in this expression. An unexpected error occured (file 'tmtransactioin.cpp', line #, function 'TMTransaction::GetProxyFromPrevSavePoint').' However, I don't have any measures or calculated columns that are related to this column in the other table at all, and the 'Colour Sellers' table is no longer there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
12scml
Resolver I
Resolver I

I'm sorry it turns out I had not deleted the table after all, just hidden it. I deleted the 'Colour Sellers' table and everything works now 🙂 
Thanks for your help!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
12scml
Resolver I
Resolver I

I'm sorry it turns out I had not deleted the table after all, just hidden it. I deleted the 'Colour Sellers' table and everything works now 🙂 
Thanks for your help!!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you could go into Query Editor, Advanced Editor and paste the text of your query, we can probably point out where you are getting the error.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
synergised
Resolver II
Resolver II

go into edit queries and remove the step where you deleted the column

query.png

I actually had to remove the entire table because it turned out to be irrelevant data, and the column was a calculated column within the table I had deleted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.