Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nicksearle1966
Regular Visitor

Updating Data in the power BI table

I am very new to power BI and have probably a very simple question to answer.

I have just finished my 6 hours of tutorial and it has showed me the power of BI which will be very useful for me and my company.

Currenlty I use a pivot table and manipulate it to give me the data I require.  Its not very 'sexey' and is just shown in a table with a small bar chart.  I would like to give much more visualisation and this will do the trick.

My first question is as follows.

Data is extracted from Microsoft Dynamics and the raw data is updated in a pivot table.  I am able to extract two years worth of data into a table and then import it into Power bi.  I would then like to add different tables and manipulate data.  I would also add a second table which contains my salesteams targets.

The raw pivot data is updated every day.  If I then import or update this from bi, will it not just overide all the additional columns I may have created?

Thanks

Nick

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

All calculations done on top of the data will work on the newly added data too.

View solution in original post

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @nicksearle1966 ,

No, Power BI has a data model (like Excel), once you create you model only the data is refreshed. Like you said, you can have data from different sources (databases, flat files, excel, pdf, api...)

That's the amazing part of PBI, you work hard only once, after that it's just refresh.

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No, the data model remains, only the data is refreshed. It will replace all of the data every time though unless you use incremental refresh.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg

If I have added columns to the original data , will it auto fill those columns aswell when I do an incremental refresh?

Thanks

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @nicksearle1966 ,

No, Power BI has a data model (like Excel), once you create you model only the data is refreshed. Like you said, you can have data from different sources (databases, flat files, excel, pdf, api...)

That's the amazing part of PBI, you work hard only once, after that it's just refresh.

Ricardo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

All calculations done on top of the data will work on the newly added data too.

Hi @amitchandak 

Thanks for the info.  I am sorry I didnt see you were first to reply

I had a supplementary question

If I have added columns to the original data , will it auto fill those columns aswell when I do an incremental refresh?

I will also certainly read your blogs.

Many Thanks

Hi @nicksearle1966 ,

As @amitchandak  said before,after the incremental refresh, the calculated column will also perform the calculation.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.