Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Updates not reflected in power bi desktop after updating excel in one drive

Hi Everyone,

I have an excel data stored on OneDrive share to others for editing as a source for my power Bi desktop, may i ask why does the updates from the excel file not reflected in the power bi desktop table section? (Example: Updated a new july row in excel, but power bi desktop still shows June.)

Thanks and Regards,

Zhide

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rena,

My report does update the new rows now, i think previously was because i didnt set the excel data formatted as a table. Now it does. Do i really have to format it then it will work? i have not change any settings yet.

Thanks and Regards,

VanCe

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , one drive is not considered as a direct data source. So you have to refresh it. For power BI service schedule a refresh.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i tried the web link method as well, its still the same. 🙁

Hi @Anonymous ,

If refresh does not work, I would try the things below.

1. Ensure the link/path of the source file is correct.

2. Edit Permissions and enter credentials that have access to the source file.

Melvlee_0-1594704937674.png

3. Hit Refresh button again.

Let me know how you go please.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Melvlee,

I checked the source path it correct, and i tried setting it to organization and public then i did a refresh but it shows me the error msg

The key didn't match any rows in the table.

i saved and restarted the file but its the same.

Thanks and Regards,

VanCe

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please review the following documentations and hope it can help you. 

How to Use and Refresh Power BI Using OneDrive Data Sources

We couldn't find any data in your Excel workbook

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rena,

Thanks alot these are helpful. Will look deeper into it, but i have not reached the stage of publishing yet, still very beginner. Anyway i will test out the Oauth2 thing on my next project. 

Regards,

VanCe

Hi @Anonymous ,

Whether your report can refresh successfully after updated the excel in OneDrive?

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rena,

My report does update the new rows now, i think previously was because i didnt set the excel data formatted as a table. Now it does. Do i really have to format it then it will work? i have not change any settings yet.

Thanks and Regards,

VanCe

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Expression-Error-The-key-didn-t-match-any-rows-in-the-table/m-p/156024#M67565

You will have to find what's missing and fix your power query. You are getting somewhere. Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, but what if im not using the web service, like im using the Power Bi Desktop client, wanted it to reflect before i publish it to the service.

Melvlee
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you refresh your report after data updates?

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah i did, clicked on the refresh button above. i even tried reupload the file to onedrive but to no avail. Unless i set the data source in excel as table format.

harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can refer these files for getting Data from Excel and Refresh Data.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-excel-workbook-files

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.