Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rssvlk
Frequent Visitor

Updated Table used in Existing Merged Query resulting in null values

Hello!

I have two tables. Table A is a hosted dataset and has column "id" Table B is a manual table and has columns "IDs" and "Top of Well Elev". At first, I only had information to populate some of the Table B IDs. the rest were filled with place holders like "9999".

Previously I added a merge query based on id to bring in the Top of Well Elev values into Table A. It worked as expected and rows for which I had Top of Well info for were populated in Table A. 

Later, I have addtional info and updated some palceholder IDs with their actual IDs and the Top of Well values. However, the merge query is not pulling in these new values, as seen here:

rssvlk_0-1632409184084.png

Even though the Table B has those IDs to merge:

rssvlk_1-1632409799325.png

removing the merge query step and redoing it does not help either. The ids are both set to be Text. They have a Many to One realtionship based on ID. Any idea what is going on or what to check? I've tried building a brand new table B from scratch and still get null results upon merging. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@rssvlk means the ids are not matching, maybe there is whitespace, apply clear and trim step before merging and see if it helps.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Yes, I understand what you want.  I'm just asking for an ID from A and an ID from B which you expect to match but are not.  

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Can you show us a particular pairing that you expect to match (I can't see any from a brief inspection of the provided photos)?

I want Top of Well to be included in Table A, so that I can use it in a calculated column.

Table A

rssvlk_0-1632487383921.png

Table B

rssvlk_1-1632487383728.png

Fsciencetech
Helper III
Helper III

Can you please share pbix.

@rssvlk As I saw, you are using leftouter join and in this case all records are matching from site location table ids to manual table (Well top elevations) IDs. only those records would not be matched because those ids not present in site location.

However if you want to see both the IDs and value from manual table then use fullouter join.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@rssvlk means the ids are not matching, maybe there is whitespace, apply clear and trim step before merging and see if it helps.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Okay everyone, I figured out that I am a dumdum 😥. I think the original issue was this, I had whitespace. But in trying to fix it, I copied the table wrong and my IDs were messed up. 🙃 Thanks to everyone for trying to help! 

Clean and Trim applied to both columns, still not working as expected 😕

Here is some addtioanl screenshot details, amybe someone can spot where I'm going wrong..

Table A

rssvlk_1-1632484797467.png

Table B

rssvlk_0-1632484765738.png

rssvlk_2-1632484823162.png

rssvlk_3-1632484848415.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.