Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmeadows
Regular Visitor

Update to new gateway

I need to update my on-premises gateway to the latest version. How easy is this to do and does this need to be updated when connected to a network or can it be done from a laptop on a home wifi connection? I ask as my current version of the gateway has several data sources (cloud, web, SQL server) and I don't want to risk losing these when I update. Will I have to add these back as data sources once it has updated?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jmeadows ,

Because the gateway runs on the computer that you install it on, be sure to install it on a computer that's always turned on. You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

For better performance and reliability, we recommend that the computer is on a wired network rather than a wireless one. You can Download the gateway here.

When you update the gateway, there is no affection with your original data source settings. You can learn more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jmeadows ,

Because the gateway runs on the computer that you install it on, be sure to install it on a computer that's always turned on. You shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, like a laptop, that might be turned off, asleep, or disconnected from the internet. The gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

For better performance and reliability, we recommend that the computer is on a wired network rather than a wireless one. You can Download the gateway here.

When you update the gateway, there is no affection with your original data source settings. You can learn more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply. So to confirm, when I update the gateway, I will have to add my data sources again? How long would the update typically take when running on a network?

Hi @jmeadows ,

When you update the gateway, you needn't to add your data sources again. And the update time depends on your network speed.

Best Regards,

Amy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.