Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

baronraghu
Helper III
Helper III

Update slicer selection based on visual selection

Hi All,

I am trying to create a connected dynamic slicer/visuals for the below table

State

Company

Field

Values

Wisconsin

MCD

C

Florida

CVX

A

Florida

CVX

C

Idaho

CVX

C

Idaho

XOM

B

Wisconsin

MCD

B

Wisconsin

MCD

A

Idaho

MCD

A

Idaho

KFC

C

Florida

MCD

A

Florida

KFC

D

Florida

CVX

D

Texas

KFC

D

Wisconsin

KFC

D

Wisconsin

MCD

D

Texas

CVX

A

Florida

XOM

D

I have the following visuals

• a pie chart which shows the state split based on total values
  • a doughnut chart which shows company split by the total value
  • A Slicer which has the name of all the Fields

What I am looking for is when I select a field in pie chart (suppose- Florida) then I should simultaneously be able to select a company (say CVX). Based on my visual level selections the value in the slicer should also change. The slicer should only show me the fields available for CVX in Florida not all.

While creating the relationship I have set the cross filer direction to both but still isint helpful

Could you please help me on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi baronraghu

Do you want the two visuals show the information: in pie chart shows the state (suppose- Florida), in doughnut chart shows company from the selected state(CVX from Florida) ?

If so, you can Edit Interactions within the two visuals.

10.png

Detailed steps:

1. select pie chart
  2. click “Edit Interactions”
  3. select icons on the doughnut chart

the first is to filter the companies of the selected state (all companies of Florida)

the second is to reflect the proportion of each company of the selected state ( the dark green in the picture below shows the  proportion of company CVX in Florida)

the third shows no change in doughnut chart when selecting the state in pie chart.

Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi baronraghu,

As you said, you want:

1. select a field in pie chart (suppose- Florida)
  2. select a company (say CVX) in doughnut chart
  3. after the two steps above, the slicer changes in this way: shows only the CVX in Florida field.
  4. Additionally, the slicer contains all fields of the table, and after the selection applied, the slicer shows a field and a certain value of this field.

Is my understanding right?

If it is, what must be noted is slicer selection can’t be changed by other visuals’ selection. It is supported when you select value in a slicer, other visuals will make a change.

If you have any question, feel free to ask me.

Best regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Yes your understanding is correct. Thanks for making it simple and easy to understand.

So is there any way where section of two different visuals are selected. Like i said earlier I select (Florida) in the pie chart and simultaneously i select CVX from company.

Regards

Raghu

Hi baronraghu

Do you want the two visuals show the information: in pie chart shows the state (suppose- Florida), in doughnut chart shows company from the selected state(CVX from Florida) ?

If so, you can Edit Interactions within the two visuals.

10.png

Detailed steps:

1. select pie chart
  2. click “Edit Interactions”
  3. select icons on the doughnut chart

the first is to filter the companies of the selected state (all companies of Florida)

the second is to reflect the proportion of each company of the selected state ( the dark green in the picture below shows the  proportion of company CVX in Florida)

the third shows no change in doughnut chart when selecting the state in pie chart.

Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.