Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Update report without replacing Dataset

Hello Community,

Now my arm has been twisted to move to Power BI Pro I'm loving the fact I can schedule the refresh of my data, makes life so much easier!

However I have an issue that I don't know there is a solution to but thought I'd ask to see if there was or perhaps learn how other deal with it.

If I want to make a change to a report, maybe add a new page  with some new vizuals and I use Power BI Desktop then uploading to the service requires me to also replace the dataset meaning I lose any data refreshes that have happened since the last time I refreshed the pbix file, is there a way to just upload the report elements and not the dataset itself?

In my own mind I see a couple of different ways to move forward if there isn't, anyone have any thoughts on what's best:

1) Make changes to the report in the web.

2) Download the pbix from the service to make changes then upload.

3) Refresh the data locally before making changes.

4) Create reports by connecting to the Power BI Dataset

Any pointers from the 'way more experienced than me' users appreciated!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@robofski

If you just add some pages and visuals with existing dataset, you can directly edit your report on Power BI Service.

But if you need to edit the DAX formula for measure/column, or transform data in Query Editor, you have to do it in Power BI Desktop and republish your .pbix file. So you need to reconfigure your schedule refresh.

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@robofski

If you just add some pages and visuals with existing dataset, you can directly edit your report on Power BI Service.

But if you need to edit the DAX formula for measure/column, or transform data in Query Editor, you have to do it in Power BI Desktop and republish your .pbix file. So you need to reconfigure your schedule refresh.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.