Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrejZitnay
Post Patron
Post Patron

Update of desktop dashboard by another user

Hello all,

I am just starting with Power BI and I've introduced this tool to our department.
My current way of using this tool is :

1, I have excel template for my data
2, I've created report with desktop Power Bi and then Publish them to my Online Power BI
3, Pin Live page and share report with my colleagues.
4, I update my data every morning and then refresh desktop Power Bi
5, Result is that all my colleagues have fresh data

I know that this is not ideal but I am just starting with Power BI.

I am going now holiday and I was hoping that my colleague can continue with this process whilst I am away.
He opens Desktop Power BI report which I have created. He can refresh data.
His refresh appears in his Reports but not in Dashboard which is shared with rest of department.

Can you advice on that? Is there any settings?

Thank you

Andrej

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I assume you are publishing to your personal workspace. You should set up a group workspace, give both you and your colleague access to he workspace. Redo all the pinning and sharing from there. Don't share e workspace with everyone else, just the pinned dashboards. 

Best not to share from your personal workspace for this very reason. But don't worry, we are all learning. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

@AndrejZitnay Yes you do. Be aware, if you use a Pro feature in the creation of a report/dashboard - the end users all will need a Pro license as well.

I don't know... if you could move this report and build the dashboard in the Group workspace and share it to a free audience...

Either it will work, or because it comes from a Group workspace (Pro feature), it won't...

I'd recommend doing the trial, follow @MattAllington's steps and test out a report/dashboard by sharing it to one collague who is still on a free license. 

Either way, you will know before going through a full change.

Also, you are definetely on the right track with starting in the Desktop. This is the only way you can have a backup of your reports, and is also the only tool that allows you to add to your data model.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I assume you are publishing to your personal workspace. You should set up a group workspace, give both you and your colleague access to he workspace. Redo all the pinning and sharing from there. Don't share e workspace with everyone else, just the pinned dashboards. 

Best not to share from your personal workspace for this very reason. But don't worry, we are all learning. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hello Matt,

Many thanks for your reply.
I am assuming that I need Pro version to create group workspace.
Correct?

I am definitely sharing with rest of the department only pinned dashboard.

I see your point.

I think that it might be time try free 60 day trial period 🙂

I have discovered this tool just month ago and I am amazed with insight and interactivity.
Would you recon that using desktop version for creation of reports and publishing them either to personal space or group workspace is good way to start with this tool?
Unfortunately I didn’t have any training and I am just testing this tool on my own.
Thank you for your help.
Andrej

@AndrejZitnay Yes you do. Be aware, if you use a Pro feature in the creation of a report/dashboard - the end users all will need a Pro license as well.

I don't know... if you could move this report and build the dashboard in the Group workspace and share it to a free audience...

Either it will work, or because it comes from a Group workspace (Pro feature), it won't...

I'd recommend doing the trial, follow @MattAllington's steps and test out a report/dashboard by sharing it to one collague who is still on a free license. 

Either way, you will know before going through a full change.

Also, you are definetely on the right track with starting in the Desktop. This is the only way you can have a backup of your reports, and is also the only tool that allows you to add to your data model.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer & @MattAllington

We have now both free trial pro versions.
Updating is working well.
My audience doesn’t need pro version as they do not need to update or adjust.

I am glad that this community is here 🙂
I’ve managed to solve my first small problem 🙂

I need to search for some online courses or find some good training materials.

Thanks

Again

@AndrejZitnay Check out the support site for learning/documentation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.