Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Update history data

Good morning everyone!!

See if it's possible to solve my problem. Turns out I have an Excel saved on OneDrive, which is a data history from the beginning until March of this year. In this same cloud another Excel will be saved every month (it will be crushed every month) so that it is programmed in Power Bi that that data from the last month will be cleaned up and joined to those of the history. My problem comes as soon as the next month arrives, as this data has not been saved in history, and instead of having it from the beginning to the month of April of this year for example, it would have from the beginning until March and now May (it would skip April because it was not stored as such in the historical). After several tests, I understand that it would work if physically that historical Ondrive Excel had updated the data for that last April that was appended to PowerBi. My question is:

- Could you have to have the result of that union of the last month with the historical one automatically saved in the cloud from powerBi, without having to do it by hand?

- Otherwise, is it really possible to do the automation I intend?

I hope you've been able to explain myself correctly.

A greeting and thank you in advance for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @andynedine ,

It sounds like you need to use incremental refresh. You can read the details here.

In summary, incremental refresh will essentially add your monthly data update to any data you already hold in the dataset, providing you give it the correct paramaters/criteria to evaluate new/old data against.

There's some limitations and caveats that the linked article will gve you details on, but probably the most important is that, once you have assigned a report for incremental refresh, you can no longer update it in Power BI Desktop. Therefore, before you go ahead, you must be absolutely sure that your report is in its final state and will stand the test of time.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @andynedine ,

It sounds like you need to use incremental refresh. You can read the details here.

In summary, incremental refresh will essentially add your monthly data update to any data you already hold in the dataset, providing you give it the correct paramaters/criteria to evaluate new/old data against.

There's some limitations and caveats that the linked article will gve you details on, but probably the most important is that, once you have assigned a report for incremental refresh, you can no longer update it in Power BI Desktop. Therefore, before you go ahead, you must be absolutely sure that your report is in its final state and will stand the test of time.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.