Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rnorm
Frequent Visitor

Update global report filter by clicking on visual

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a solution but nothing on the forum seems to fit my requirements, so I'd like to know if that is possible at all to do or not.

I have a customer 360 dashboard on powerbi, with a master tab and several details tabs that are focused on delivering information for single customers.

On the master tab there is a table listing customers by name and priority score. I'd like for users to be able to click on a given customer name to automatically filter all the other tabs at once for this particular customer.

I know slicers can do this by syncing, but they are not convenient for use when there are more than 50 customers in the list. WHen there is that much choices, it becomes really difficult to select a high priority customer in the slicer that is shown in the table mentionned above. Also drill-through is kind of clunky as it would require a user to come back to the master page each time they want to jump from one tab to the other in order to filter all tabs for the same customer.

I hope my request is clear enough, feel free to ask for details !

Many thanks,

Pierre.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Lamia
Helper I
Helper I

Bonjour Pierre,

You can achieve this either using bookmarks or using a calculated column in the master table, which will have a link that can filter all other tabs at once for a particular customer.

DAX formula, will create a hyperlink to the other tabs with a filter applied on the customer column.

Calculated Column 

= "=HYPERLINK(" & CHAR(34) & "powerbi://bi/?dashboardId=DashboardID&filter=" & "[Customer]=[" & [Customer] & "]" & CHAR(34) & "," & CHAR(34) & [Customer] & CHAR(34) & ")"

DashboardID" should be the actual ID of your dashboard and [Customer] the actual column name in the master table.

Then, use this calculated column in the table visual, and users can click on the customer name to filter all other tabs at once for that customer.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

rnorm
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lamia,

Thanks for the info about the hyperlink embedded within the table. This option works for the main purpose of filtering the tabs. It opens up the filtered results in a new browser tab though, which is something I don't think there can be anything we can do about.

For those who might read this, the reference I used based on your answer was this page: Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rnorm
Frequent Visitor

Hi Lamia,

Thanks for the info about the hyperlink embedded within the table. This option works for the main purpose of filtering the tabs. It opens up the filtered results in a new browser tab though, which is something I don't think there can be anything we can do about.

For those who might read this, the reference I used based on your answer was this page: Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Lamia
Helper I
Helper I

Bonjour Pierre,

You can achieve this either using bookmarks or using a calculated column in the master table, which will have a link that can filter all other tabs at once for a particular customer.

DAX formula, will create a hyperlink to the other tabs with a filter applied on the customer column.

Calculated Column 

= "=HYPERLINK(" & CHAR(34) & "powerbi://bi/?dashboardId=DashboardID&filter=" & "[Customer]=[" & [Customer] & "]" & CHAR(34) & "," & CHAR(34) & [Customer] & CHAR(34) & ")"

DashboardID" should be the actual ID of your dashboard and [Customer] the actual column name in the master table.

Then, use this calculated column in the table visual, and users can click on the customer name to filter all other tabs at once for that customer.

Hope this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.