Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RossChevalier
Helper III
Helper III

Update existing Datasets to show new columns added to SQL View

Hello,

We have set up a Gateway Connection to a SQL Server and have several views prepared that we connect to via PowerBI for reporting and analysis.  

We recently had to add columns to the view in order to do some new reports.  

My workstation is not on the same network as the SQL Server, in fact I am in a different part of the country.  I have the current reports published to the PowerBI service and have local PBIX files to work on loaded on my workstation.  I can make changes and add charts and then publish to the service and all is well.

What I do not know how to do, is to refresh my datasets in PowerBI to show me the additional columns recently added to the view.

My understanding is that once I establish a data connection in the PowerBI service, I can then download that PBIX and use it to create reports and if I need to get fresh data, I choose Refresh in PowerBI desktop.  When I do this, it goes through some evaluating steps and then I get this error message.

RossChevalier_0-1599771914715.png

I know that the server exists because the Power BI Service published dashboards refresh from it on a defined interval.

How do I get my Power BI Service reports to see the new columns in the view (update the dataset) so I can download the PBIX files and create new reports?

We had to do this about six months ago, and no one can remember how we did it but it worked and all the existing reports continued to work fine.  I know that I could create a new dataset and create new reports but that would be a non-starter.

Do I need to create a new dataset in Power BI Service?  If so, how do I connect the existing reports to it and not lose all the calculated fields?

There has to be a simple way to update these datasets when the SQL view changes but I cannot find documentation anywhere.

Thank you, this is really important.

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@RossChevalier - Is this a duplicate post to the one here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Update-Dataset-to-show-added-columns-in-the-SQL-connection/...

Seems like @GilbertQ has you covered on that thread? If it is a duplicate, please use the ellipses menu for the post and delete this one. Thanks!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello Greg,

Yes it is a duplicate because I was not sure where to best post the question.  Sadly Gilbert's guidance while appreciated has not worked.

I will following your instructions and delete this post.

Hi @RossChevalier ,

It seems to be your workstation can't connect to the SQL Server. You have told your workstation is not on the same network as the SQL Server. So Did you use VPN to connect to the SQL Server?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RossChevalier , if you have added new columns and they are not adding up.

OPen edit Quer/Transform data. Right Click on the table name and Open Advance Editor and check do you script with the column name. If yes add the additional columns. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.