Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StasM
Regular Visitor

Update data via merge/adding excel tables

Hi guys,

Could you please clarify, how to combine/add/merge amount of data tables with same columns.

Example: I have weekly results of sales. Let's suppose with 3 columns: data, salesman, revenue. Every week I get new data, transform in the same 3 columns tables (but cannot combine it into 1 excel table due to amount of data). At the end I have weekly files with same 3 columns.

Can I somehow add it in the modelling or other parts and update all figures in dashboard?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, You can add it into your table using append table operation in the Query Editor.

You can watch this VIDEO to understand how it works.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Another option could be, if you are getting the files supplied each week you could put them into the same folder.

Then when you select get data, you select the Folder Option as shown below?

The advantage of this is that you would not have to Append or combine any Excel tables. 

As well as each week when you get a new file, you just save it to the same location, and then simply click Refresh in Power BI Desktop.

Power BI - Get Data - Folder.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

starmoonknight
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @StasM

As long as you've got the same number of columns, consistent data types and columns are in the same order, simply append new tables to the one in your data model using Query Editor. Either click Append Queries in Home Tab or use Advanced Editor in View Tab

FYI, Merge is join while Append is union.

Cheers

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@StasM

You can also input the table names in Advanced Editor with power query to get the appended table.

Update data via merge adding excel tables_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, You can add it into your table using append table operation in the Query Editor.

You can watch this VIDEO to understand how it works.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.