Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsure of what visualisation to use to count a date event

Hi there,

For a top level management report I need to display a number of assets in our system that are still over 4 years old and Active (missed refresh basically).

I have our CMDB table in Power BI that, for example has the asset code type (AT000030 and AT000031) for Laptops.  I also have the date field which contains the date the item was created as well as a column for the amount of months for refresh.

What I need to do is display a total for Workstations, Laptops, Monitors that are past their refresh date.

I have displayed totals on reports before using the Card visualisation and dragging a number value into it that reacts to date and some other filter options.

With this one though, I am just not sure the best way to assemble the data to a total and then display as a number on the report.

I was thinking of somehow having a column that checked if the  HC_Created_Date + RefreshCycle_Months was less than current date (making it older than 48 months) and writing a 1.  Then I could use the card to display the totals filtering by the asset code.  Just unsure how to structure the column to write the 1 or 0.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create a calculated column.

ToRefresh = IF(DATE(YEAR([HC Created Date]),MONTH([HC Created Date])+[RefreshCycle_Months],DAY([HC Created Date]))<TODAY(),1,0)

9.png

Or, you could create a measure.

ToRefresh measure = IF(DATE(YEAR(MAX('Table'[HC Created Date])),MONTH(MAX('Table'[HC Created Date]))+MAX('Table'[RefreshCycle_Months]),DAY(MAX('Table'[HC Created Date])))<TODAY(),1,0)

10.png

You can check more details from here.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create a calculated column.

ToRefresh = IF(DATE(YEAR([HC Created Date]),MONTH([HC Created Date])+[RefreshCycle_Months],DAY([HC Created Date]))<TODAY(),1,0)

9.png

Or, you could create a measure.

ToRefresh measure = IF(DATE(YEAR(MAX('Table'[HC Created Date])),MONTH(MAX('Table'[HC Created Date]))+MAX('Table'[RefreshCycle_Months]),DAY(MAX('Table'[HC Created Date])))<TODAY(),1,0)

10.png

You can check more details from here.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I have a few variants of this I am trying now.  Will plug this in also and see what comes out in the wash 🙂

cheers

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Can you share sample data and sample output in a table format?

For how many months old, you can have a column in the date table like

Diff from this month = datediff([date], eomonth(today(),-1),month)

Please provide your feedback comments and advice for new videos
Tutorial Series Dax Vs SQL Direct Query PBI Tips
Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the below example AT000030 and 31 are laptops, AT000026 and 27 are workstations.

The sum of the created date and the refresh months for the laptops and one of the workstations ends up being less than the current date.  If I was writing this as a new column there would be a value of 1 against 3 of the values and 0 against the other.

Then on the report I would use a card and just group by the new column value so it would total all the 1 and filer for the relevant asset codes.

BarcodeAsset CodeAssetHC Created DateRefreshCycle_Months
123AT000030Dell A10/10/201548
223AT000031Dell B11/10/201548
444AT000026HP WW15/01/201948
555AT000027HP EE19/03/201648

So an extra column in the table as so

BarcodeAsset CodeAssetHC Created DateRefreshCycle_MonthsToRefresh
123AT000030Dell A10/10/2015481
223AT000031Dell B11/10/2015481
444AT000026HP WW15/01/2019480
555AT000027HP EE19/03/2016481

mockcards.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.