Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tracy
Frequent Visitor

Unrelated Tables

Hi. I've tables that are not related as you can see in the picture below (no unique values in either one to create relationship). But, I need to pick a row from ItemTransaction table and check upon BreakTime table to find under which breaktime this transaction time (StartTime & EndTime) falls into based on the ScheduleID. Is there a way to do this in Power BI desktop? Since, the tables are not connected, my collegue used Visual Studio coding to compute the logic. Somehow, I'm trying to apply this logic with Power BI. Is that possible? Please help.

foreach (DataRow dr in drArray)
{
//If TrxTime is between BreakTime
if (vBreakTimeStart <= pStartTime && vBreakTimeEnd >= pEndTime) 
vTotalBreakTime += (pEndTime - pStartTime).TotalSeconds;
}

9 REPLIES 9
tracy
Frequent Visitor

The tables' sample is attached here. Both will return multiple rows when we filter by ScheduleID. Any suggestions on how to loop through row by row? 

Tables.jpg

Hi @tracy,

You can refer to below measure to calculate the total seconds:

subtotal =
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(ItemTransaction),ItemTransaction[ScheduleID]=MAX(BreakTime[ScheduleID])&&AND(MAX(BreakTime[BreakStartTime])<=ItemTransaction[StartTime],MAX(BreakTime[BreakEndTime])>=ItemTransaction[EndTime])),ItemTransaction[BundleTime])

Tables:
Breaktime.

Capture.PNG

ItemTransaction.

Capture2.PNG

Result(add a calculate column to display the result):

Capture3.PNG

Notice: Since the sample data has no match records, I modified some records.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft. Thanks for your reply. You have used MAX ItemTransaction[ScheduleID] = MAX(BreakTime[ScheduleID]) in this statement. Does that mean it will always pick the first row? Because somehow scheduleID will be the same for the selected rows in BreakTime table. 

Sorry, I don't quite understand what your expression does. Do you mind explaining?

I gave a sample condition only. But, in actual I've 4 conditions. Can I fit in them in the same measure?

//If BreakTime is out of TrxTime, No BreakTime
if (vBreakTimeEnd <= pStartTime) { break; } 
if (vBreakTimeStart >= pEndTime) { break; }

//If TrxTime is between BreakTime
if (vBreakTimeStart <= pStartTime && vBreakTimeEnd >= pEndTime) 
   vTotalBreakTime += (pEndTime - pStartTime).TotalSeconds;
//if BreakTime is between TrxTime
else if (vBreakTimeStart >= pStartTime && vBreakTimeEnd <= pEndTime)
   vTotalBreakTime += (vBreakTimeEnd - vBreakTimeStart).TotalSeconds;
//if BreakTime starts before TrxTime
else if (vBreakTimeStart <= pStartTime && (vBreakTimeEnd >= pStartTime && vBreakTimeEnd <= pEndTime))
   vTotalBreakTime += (vBreakTimeEnd - pStartTime).TotalSeconds;
//if BreakTime starts after TrxStartTime
else if (vBreakTimeEnd >= pEndTime && (vBreakTimeStart >= pStartTime && vBreakTimeStart <= pEndTime))
   vTotalBreakTime += (pEndTime - vBreakTimeStart).TotalSeconds;

Hi @tracy,

>>You have used MAX ItemTransaction[ScheduleID] = MAX(BreakTime[ScheduleID]) in this statement. Does that mean it will always pick the first row?

It will get the current “scheduleID”, for more detail information about measure and calculate column, you can refer to below link:
column vs measure

According to your conditions, you want to get the “middle range” of tables and get the total minute of these records, right?

You can try to use below formula to see if it works on your side.

Measure:

condition total = 
var currBreakStart=MAX(BreakTime[BreakStartTime])
var currBreakEnd=MAX(BreakTime[BreakEndTime])
var currScheduleID=LASTNONBLANK(BreakTime[ScheduleID],BreakTime[ScheduleID])
return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(ItemTransaction),
ItemTransaction[ScheduleID]=currScheduleID&&AND(ItemTransaction[StartTime]<currBreakEnd,ItemTransaction[EndTime]>currBreakStart)),
DATEDIFF(MAX(ItemTransaction[StartTime],currBreakStart),MIN(ItemTransaction[EndTime],currBreakEnd),SECOND))

If above is not help, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft, I created a measure as you had given. But, the calculated column using your previous expression (TotalSecond = IF([Condition Total]=BLANK(),0,[Condition Total])) throws this error:
A circular dependency was detected: BreakTime[Column], BreakTime[TotalSecond], BreakTime[Column]

Also, I actually want to update the total seconds in ItemTransaction table like below. I want the calculated break time beside each employee's record. Is this possible? 
***Very importantly, can you advise me if we can put the other conditions in the same measure pleaseee?

ConditionalLogic.jpg

Hi @tracy,

Below is my pbix file, please check it if it works on your side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft, I'm just enlightening you that I want the break time total seconds to be put into ItemTransaction table as per what I've stated above. Is that possible or not? Please advise. 

And FYI, when I tested your measure at my end, my result is different from yours. See here.ItemTransaction.jpg

Hi @tracy,

>> I'm just enlightening you that I want the break time total seconds to be put into ItemTransaction table as per what I've stated above. Is that possible or not?

Yes, it is possible.  In my opinion, dax query not good at replace values with multiple conditions. It is hard to loop multiple tables and replace the value at same time. Perhaps you can use power query.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft, I don't mind using power query too. Is there any basic or simple example that shows looping through conditions for unrelated tables? I really need to find a solution to produce break time into the ItemTransaction table.

As far as I browsed through, I see that Power Query is used to customize columns and its values. 

Please redirect me if you know of any sample. It'll be very helpful to me. Thanks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.