Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

motoray
Helper V
Helper V

Unpivoted data filtering and cross filtering

I have an unpivoted dataset exported from a source system. I need to be able to create column charts that filter by field name, with values on the axis and a distinct count of incidents. This is easy with one column chart, but when I need to have 4 column charts on the same page, each filtered to a different field name, but have them all cross filter each other for incident # only, it gets tricky. I found a solution, but it involved creating lookup tables for each of the four field names and linking them to the main table via ID. While it works, it seems to be an inelegant solution. Anyone have ideas for something better? 

Sample Power BI file 

Sample Data 

I should note that it is possible for there to be multiple "field names" per incident number and mulitiple "values" for a "field name" for a given incident number as well--which makes pivoting the data or grouping problematic. 

samplecolumns.png

Field NameField TypeIncident NumberINCIDENT_IDValue
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00022131CAD Data
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00022131Dispatch Tape Requested by Officer
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00022131Photographs
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00022131Video
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00032132CAD Data
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00032132Dispatch Tape Requested by Officer
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00032132Photographs
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00042155CAD Data
Additional Items IncludedLookup4000-TRI-00042155Dispatch Tape Requested by Officer

5 REPLIES 5
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @motoray 

1) Uploading files

Especially when you have a problem with a DAX statement or the data model, it would be best to provide a pbix-file containing the sample data. You might have seen posts here in the forum where files are directly attached and have searched for the button to do exatly that. But unless you're a Microsoft employee or a super user this feature will not be available for you. Instead you have to upload your file to a cloud storage (like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive or Wetransfer for example) and paste the link to that storage location in the post.

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try the latest "Small multiples" feature.  I have not used it myself but read up and see id it helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

And here's a shot with the current solution that I don't like which forces me to create lookup tables for each Field Name. It works the way I want, but I keep thinking there must be a better way.

howitshouldwork.png

Gave small multiples a try and it doesn't work the way I need it to. If you look at the attached screenshot, you can see that it does not cross-highlight.

smallmultipledoesntwork.png

Have added links to download sample data and the Power BI report with the solution I came up with if anyone's interested in checking it out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.