Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpivot wide-growing table

Dear all, 

I have a csv file coming from a system I cant control. 

Every week  a new column  of the same type of data (Let say weekly sales) is added making the file growing "wide-wize".  

I know how to do unpivot to get a long and slim table to conduct my visualization tasks and it my current approach.

However, as the columns are addedd every week, I need to open the query and change the range of the columns to be used in the unpivot operations. Let say From (col1 to col 10 last week will become From col1 to 11 this week)

I want to automate this task so that every week the newly added column is automatically added to unpivot range. 

Is there anyway to make this happen?

I will appreciate your help

Best regards,

Koffi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

For your requirement, code below can help

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\maggiel\Desktop\case\6\6.13\first query.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"col1", Int64.Type}, {"col2", Int64.Type}, {"col3", Int64.Type}, {"A", Int64.Type}, {"B", Int64.Type}, {"C", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

For your requirement, code below can help

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\maggiel\Desktop\case\6\6.13\first query.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"col1", Int64.Type}, {"col2", Int64.Type}, {"col3", Int64.Type}, {"A", Int64.Type}, {"B", Int64.Type}, {"C", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft

Thank you very much. This solve my problem! 

Best regards,

Koffi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.