Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cbutler
Helper III
Helper III

Unpivot multiple columns but keep certain columns separate?

Hi, Fairly new to Power BI and I am trying to make a bilingual report without having a load of lookups. 

I have a data table with a load of columns, each measure has a Welsh name column and English name column. How can I unpivot these columns so that they show the Welsh and English on the rows but then keep separate the different measures? 

eg, I have mocked up an example below, 

I need to merge these 6 columns in to 3 columns, (School name, Catchment area, school type) and only want 10 rows in total, one for each "school" Welsh 1 to 5 and English 1 to 5, and have another column that I can use to filter between Welsh and English. 

Capture.PNGThis is how I want the data to look....Capture2.PNG

Am I making this much harder than it needs to be? 

2 REPLIES 2
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Cbutler ,

After Unpivot columns, you could use Table.SplitColumn(), SelectRows(), SelectColumns() to get your result.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("LcqxCcAwDETRVYxqN5FO0xhVJhsEvH6w+M0dH95adsZj097eMza16Y++X/Nq73a0ox3taEdHd6ADHehAB1rdQgsttNBCZ3eiE53oRKdV/Q==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"W school name" = _t, #"E school name" = _t, #"W catchment" = _t, #"E catchment" = _t, #"W type" = _t, #"E type" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"W school name", type text}, {"E school name", type text}, {"W catchment", type text}, {"E catchment", type text}, {"W type", type text}, {"E type", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"W school name", "E school name", "W catchment", "E catchment"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns1" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns", {"W school name", "E school name", "Attribute", "Value"}, "Attribute.1", "Value.1"),
    #"Unpivoted Columns2" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns1", {"Attribute", "Value", "Attribute.1", "Value.1"}, "Attribute.2", "Value.2"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns2", "Custom", each [Value.2]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Custom.1", "Custom.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom.1", type text}, {"Custom.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Custom", each [Value]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Custom.1.1", "Custom.2.1"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Custom.1.1", type text}, {"Custom.2.1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Custom", each [Value.1]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter2" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({" "}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Custom.1.2", "Custom.2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type3" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter2",{{"Custom.1.2", type text}, {"Custom.2.2", type text}}),
    RemoveRows = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type3",each [Custom.1]=[Custom.1.1] and [Custom.1]=[Custom.1.2]),
    SelectColumns = Table.SelectColumns(RemoveRows,{"Custom.1","Value.2","Value.1","Value"})
in
    SelectColumns

Here is my test file. You could open advanced editor and refer to my M query.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Hi @v-eachen-msft 

Wow thanks, this might be a bit complex when I come to apply to my report, we have 80 schools in total and about 15 measures (so far)...

Do you know if there is a way to write a measure that says if "English" is selected display column 1,3,5,7 or if "Welsh" is selected display columns 2,4,6,8 etc? Or maybe another measure similar to look at a different table eg if "English" is selected look at table "A" else use table "B"?

This way I could use a simple language look up that would witch between the two? Is something like this possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.