Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abukapsoun
Post Patron
Post Patron

Unpivot Table

Hi,

I have a bit of strange request not sure if it is possible but I am giving it a try. 

I have the following table,

Capture.PNG

Is there a way I can duplicate the row, and put technology-2 under technology-1, product-2 under product-1? 

In other way, can I have a single column for " Product", "Technology" and "Skill" and populating tech-1 and tech-2 under it?

So in that case, each single row will have two rows. 

thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

It is not such a strange request; I have seeen such requests before.

I assume you have other columns in your table as well, so I added a "Name" column that represents all those columns.

Steps:

• Select all columns that are not displayed in your picture
  • Choose Transform - Unpivot - Other Columns
  • Select column "Attribute"
  • Choose Transform - Extract - Text Before Delimiter - Delimiter "-", the last delimiter from the end
  • Choose Add Column - Add Index Column
  • Select column "Index"
  • Choose Transform - Standard - Integer-Divide, value 3
  • Select column "Attribute"
  • Choose Transform - Pivot Column - Values column "Value" - advanced option Don't Aggregate
  • Remove column Index

Generated code:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {{"Attribute", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "-", {0, RelativePosition.FromEnd}), type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Integer-Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.IntegerDivide(_, 3), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Integer-Divided Column", List.Distinct(#"Integer-Divided Column"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

@MarcelBeug

Thank you very much Marcel for this interesting walkthrough, I have applied the steps but I feel there is something not correct with the alignment.

If I am not mistaken, I haven't seen we have used the index and index/3 columns in the step that follow..

Capture.PNG

Here is the generated code. 

Capture2.PNG

Thank you again,

@MarcelBeug

Hi Marcel, 

Sorry for bothering again, but were you able to have a look at the below? 

Thanks again

Apologies for the late reaction.

You made one mistake: you added a column with the Integer-Divide, you should have Integer-Divided the Index column on the "Transform Column" tab, thus transforming the Index column in the Integer-Divided column.

If you corect that, it should be OK.

On second thought, it may not work as I think you have null values.

An alternative approach is to unpivot the other columns and split the Attribute column on "-".

Then you can pivot back on column "Attribute,1"  and remove "Attribute,2" afterwards,

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Attribute.1", type text}, {"Attribute.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[Attribute.1]), "Attribute.1", "Value"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Attribute.2"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.