Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mschroetel

Unpivot Multiple Coumns

I have a direct connection to a databased containing sales transaction data from a point of sale.   Each transaction can split the revenue between 6 profit centers.  

In the transaction data there are columns for the profit center ID (pr_ctr_1, pr_ct_2, pr_ct_3, pr_ct_4, pr_ct_5, pr_ct_6) and the amount allocated to each profit center (pcsplit_1, pcsplit2,  pcsplit3, pcsplit4, pcsplit5, pcsplit6)

Each transaction is recorded as a row in the data table.  

I need to create a new column called "profit_center" and one called "pc_amount" and unpivot the information from the pr_ctr_1 through pr_ctr_6 columns into the new "profit_center" column and the information from the corresponding pcsplit_1 through pcsplit_6 columns into the new "pc_amount" column.  The information from the pr_ctr_1 and pcsplit1 columns need to continue to correspond.

The rest of the row data should be retained for each newly created row.  

I have included a a screenshot of a spreadsheet showing the current data structure and the desired data structure after the unpivot.

I have tried using the unpivot command but with cannot get the desired result.  I have been able to do it with a SQL query but am hoping to be able to do this all in power BI without having to run a SQL query and data export to a csv.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

pivotsampledata.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've mocked up a sample with the solution here. Please paste into the advanced editor and follow the steps:  

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUUoEYkMDIJEExMYGSrE60UpOUHEjmLgJUDwWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, pcsplit_1 = _t, prctr_1 = _t, pcsplit_2 = _t, prctr_2 = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Item"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("_", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Attribute.1", type text}, {"Attribute.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type1", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type1"[Attribute.1]), "Attribute.1", "Value"),
    OptionalRemove = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Attribute.2"})
in
    OptionalRemove

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bigdee008
Frequent Visitor

Hi Iker, I modified your suggested querry  above but in did not seem to work in my example below:

Current Header Desired Unpivotted Header
AD_TYPEAD_TYPE
AD_WEEKAD_WEEK
AD_YEARAD_YEAR
PROGRAM_TYPEPROGRAM_TYPE
PROMO_START_DTPROMO_START_DT
PROMO_END_DTPROMO_END_DT
VendorVendor
SP_RETAIL_PRICESP_RETAIL_PRICE
U_PUR_ORG_NUMU_PUR_ORG_NUM
U_PUR_ORG_NMU_PUR_ORG_NM
U_DIST_CHANNEL_NUMU_DIST_CHANNEL_NUM
U_DIST_CHANNEL_NMU_DIST_CHANNEL_NM
B00_QTYQTY
B01_QTYTRANSMIT_DT
B01_TRANSMIT_DTDELIVERY_DT
B01_DELIVERY_DTPICK_DT
B01_PICK_DTPREQ_CREATE_DT
B01_PREQ_CREATE_DTSOURCE
B01_SOURCELDGGROUP_VSR
B01_LDGGROUP_VSR 
B02_QTY 
B02_TRANSMIT_DT 
B02_DELIVERY_DT 
B02_PICK_DT 
B02_PREQ_CREATE_DT 
B03_QTY 
B03_TRANSMIT_DT 
B03_DELIVERY_DT 
B03_PICK_DT 
B03_PREQ_CREATE_DT 
B04_QTY 
B04_TRANSMIT_DT 
B04_DELIVERY_DT 
B04_PICK_DT 
B04_PREQ_CREATE_DT 
B05_QTY 
B05_TRANSMIT_DT 
B05_DELIVERY_DT 
B05_PICK_DT 
B05_PREQ_CREATE_DT 
B06_QTY 
B06_TRANSMIT_DT 
B06_DELIVERY_DT 
B06_PICK_DT 
B06_PREQ_CREATE_DT 
B07_QTY 
B07_TRANSMIT_DT 
B07_DELIVERY_DT 
B07_PICK_DT 
B07_PREQ_CREATE_DT 
B08_QTY 
B08_TRANSMIT_DT 
B08_DELIVERY_DT 
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

1) Check the columns that shall stay and choose "Unpivot other Columns"

2) Check (the new) colum "Attribute" and Split by delimiter "_"

3) Check the first of the resulting columns (that contain "pctr" and "pctsplit") and pivot again. 

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeF Thanks for the reply.  Can you clarify what you mean on the step 3?  Am I pivoting the first column "attribute.1" on the newly created "attribute.2" column?

Thanks!

I've mocked up a sample with the solution here. Please paste into the advanced editor and follow the steps:  

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUUoEYkMDIJEExMYGSrE60UpOUHEjmLgJUDwWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, pcsplit_1 = _t, prctr_1 = _t, pcsplit_2 = _t, prctr_2 = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Item"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Attribute", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("_", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Attribute.1", "Attribute.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Attribute.1", type text}, {"Attribute.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type1", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type1"[Attribute.1]), "Attribute.1", "Value"),
    OptionalRemove = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Attribute.2"})
in
    OptionalRemove

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.