Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gmosier
Frequent Visitor

Universal slicer?

I assume its not possible, since I've exhaustively looked for a way to do it, but I have 3 pages of data and, ideally, I would like for a single slicer to filter the controls on all 3 pages instead of just the page it's on. For example, when someone filters for a specific salesperson on Page 1, then clicks over to the data on Page 2, there is no filter applied to the Page 2 data. So I have to duplicate the slicers on each page and the user has to re-apply the filtering to the new page every time he/she switches to a different page. Am I missing something or is this just The Way It Is? Any chance slicers of the future could be made to apply to all elements on all pages instead of just those visible on the same page as the slicer in question? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Have you tried the Report level filters?

gmosier
Frequent Visitor

Yes, but that's not something a user can modify. But you're right in the sense that what I need is a way to make a user-controllable slicer work at the report level. If there's a way to do that, I haven't found it.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes I know exacxtly what you mean! Smiley Happy

Having the functionality you describe will free up space on your subsequent pages

and you'll be able to include more Visuals/Charts, etc... instead of having to waste space repeating all Slicers again!

gmosier
Frequent Visitor

Exactly, not to mention forcing the user to have to set the slicers all over again every time they want to see a different subset of the data. If I'm a user, I assume that my filters would carry over to the new page. Its got to be confusing to see that they don't, and a little annoying to have to re-enter them again and again.

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6674820-global-filter-in-dashboar...

not sure if this is the main idea floating around, it seems to have been around for a while. 

gmosier
Frequent Visitor

Between that suggestion and this one, there are over 8,000 votes.

And given how easy it should be to implement, I'd think this has to be coming soon.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

The backlog in the Ideas forum is just unbelievable!

I've been asking for Collapse/Expand Matrix Buttons since Aug 6, 2015

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9207006-matrix-collapse-expand-bu...

In contrast count and look at the number of features they released in Feb 2017

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-feature-summary/

If they keep going with this speed... Don't hold your breath!

The other thing that's now badly needed is total overhaul of the Formatting Options

which instead of being in a little column to the right need to be up in the Ribbon as Contextual Menus

Anyway just my 2 cents worth...

Dog
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I've been waiting for this too. 

I'd like to have a main page which stored slicers to apply at report level, thus giving end user the knowledge that what they are looking at is filtered correctly across all pages without the need to remember to change.  

we currently have to work around this by creating a couple of calculate columns to store items like "Current Month", "Current Year" etc... based on the current date and position of the month so we can preset the report level filters to "Current Month" for financial data  so they don't need to move onto the correct period each time they view. Obviously this doesn't cover everything...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.