cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pchapple Member

Unique values

Hi Experts!

I have two tables. One with dates and locations; One with dates and performance.  I thought I could create a relationship between the dates, so I can see the Locations and Performance together....  but when I try to create that relationship it says "You can't create a relationship between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values".

How do I do this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jahida Established Member
Established Member

Re: Unique values

I can hear the stampede of people coming to this post to promote Date tables.

Basically you want to create a central, unique set of dates that you can use to link the two tables and also do time intelligence as needed. Here's a similar post from a while ago:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Working-with-dates-from-multiple-tables/m-p/35194/highlight/...

CahabaData New Contributor
New Contributor

in addition to J's post - that covers the technical side - - but you probably have a logical dilemma to resolve.  If there are 2 date/locations:

1/1/16 London

1/1/16 NY

and 2 date/performances

1/1/16  Beethovan's Fifth

1/1/16  Nutcracker

then which goes with which?  unless they always all go together....  in this example I invented you need a 3rd field in both tables, such as 'artist', then you could join on both date and artist fields to create a unique 1:1 relationship.

www.CahabaData.com
4 REPLIES 4
pchapple Member

Unique values

Hi Experts! (not sure why the previous message didnt display!)

I have two tables.  One with Dates and Locations; One with Dates and Performance.  I want to create a relationship between the e but Im being told that "You cant create a relationship between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values".

Any ideas why this is happening?

Established Member

Hi!

Established Member

I can hear the stampede of people coming to this post to promote Date tables.

Basically you want to create a central, unique set of dates that you can use to link the two tables and also do time intelligence as needed. Here's a similar post from a while ago:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Working-with-dates-from-multiple-tables/m-p/35194/highlight/...

CahabaData New Contributor
New Contributor

in addition to J's post - that covers the technical side - - but you probably have a logical dilemma to resolve.  If there are 2 date/locations:

1/1/16 London

1/1/16 NY

and 2 date/performances

1/1/16  Beethovan's Fifth

1/1/16  Nutcracker

then which goes with which?  unless they always all go together....  in this example I invented you need a 3rd field in both tables, such as 'artist', then you could join on both date and artist fields to create a unique 1:1 relationship.

www.CahabaData.com