Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unique values

Hi Experts!

I have two tables. One with dates and locations; One with dates and performance.  I thought I could create a relationship between the dates, so I can see the Locations and Performance together....  but when I try to create that relationship it says "You can't create a relationship between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values".

How do I do this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I can hear the stampede of people coming to this post to promote Date tables.

Basically you want to create a central, unique set of dates that you can use to link the two tables and also do time intelligence as needed. Here's a similar post from a while ago:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Working-with-dates-from-multiple-tables/m-p/35194/highlight/...

View solution in original post

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

in addition to J's post - that covers the technical side - - but you probably have a logical dilemma to resolve.  If there are 2 date/locations:

1/1/16 London

1/1/16 NY

and 2 date/performances

1/1/16  Beethovan's Fifth

1/1/16  Nutcracker

then which goes with which?  unless they always all go together....  in this example I invented you need a 3rd field in both tables, such as 'artist', then you could join on both date and artist fields to create a unique 1:1 relationship.

www.CahabaData.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

in addition to J's post - that covers the technical side - - but you probably have a logical dilemma to resolve.  If there are 2 date/locations:

1/1/16 London

1/1/16 NY

and 2 date/performances

1/1/16  Beethovan's Fifth

1/1/16  Nutcracker

then which goes with which?  unless they always all go together....  in this example I invented you need a 3rd field in both tables, such as 'artist', then you could join on both date and artist fields to create a unique 1:1 relationship.

www.CahabaData.com
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I can hear the stampede of people coming to this post to promote Date tables.

Basically you want to create a central, unique set of dates that you can use to link the two tables and also do time intelligence as needed. Here's a similar post from a while ago:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Working-with-dates-from-multiple-tables/m-p/35194/highlight/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Experts! (not sure why the previous message didnt display!)

I have two tables.  One with Dates and Locations; One with Dates and Performance.  I want to create a relationship between the e but Im being told that "You cant create a relationship between these two columns because one of the columns must have unique values".

Any ideas why this is happening?

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.