Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

unclejemima
Post Patron
Post Patron

Unique Values and Relationship issue with blank values looking like duplicates?

I've got 2 tables I'm trying to create a relationship with.  One table is called "Account", the other "Inventry"

Account[UniqueNumberSupplier] and Inventry[Supplier] are the two I'm trying to create a relationship with.

The Account[UniqueNumberSupplier] has a bunch of blank values in it coming from the formula

UniqueNumberSupplier = if(Account[AType]="P",Account[AUnique],blank())

as the account table has customers AND suppliers in it.  I did this formula to strip out just the suppliers so I could create the relationship to the Inventry[Supplier]

I'm assuming its the blank() that's making the issue with multiple blank values.  These show up as NULL in the relationship tool.  Any numbers that are in the table that are not blank, are unique and not duplicated.

Do I need to trim my formula so that I don't have these issues?  Or do I need to make a new table soely called "Supplier" so that there are no "blanks" in there?

snip.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @unclejemima,

In your scenario, I’m afraid you could not create a relationship between the two columns. Because duplicate values are both in your ‘Account’[UniqueNumberSupplier] column and ‘Inventry’[Supplier] column. Power BI doesn’t support this many-to-many relationship. You can view related links about this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships#cross-filter-direc...

I suggest you to create a bridge table that has distinct value of ‘Inventry’[Supplier] from both tables. Then you can create relationships among these three tables N:1:N (Account table <-> Bridge table <-> Inventry table).

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @unclejemima,

could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @unclejemima,

In your scenario, I’m afraid you could not create a relationship between the two columns. Because duplicate values are both in your ‘Account’[UniqueNumberSupplier] column and ‘Inventry’[Supplier] column. Power BI doesn’t support this many-to-many relationship. You can view related links about this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships#cross-filter-direc...

I suggest you to create a bridge table that has distinct value of ‘Inventry’[Supplier] from both tables. Then you can create relationships among these three tables N:1:N (Account table <-> Bridge table <-> Inventry table).

Regards,

Daniel He

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, @v-danhe-msft.
Can we create a bridge table that only has one column - the key?
In the visuals, if Cross-Filter is set to "Both" on both ends, we can relate every column from N tables? The filter propagates through the Bridge right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.