Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unique Projection Calculation

Hello

I am trying to build a calculation that will project our expected enrollment based on our ROE metric.  My company deals with interntional student enrollments and we use a Rate of Enrollment (ROE) metric  (# of enrollments divided by # of applications for each country of origin).  Example, if we have 1 student enrolled from Bolivia but we had 2 applications, then the ROE for Bolivia is 50%.   Also, the ROE can change from one term to another but I have alwas found that using the ROE from the previous term keeps projections accurate.   

So, how can build a calculation/meaure that projections the expected number of enrollments for an upcoming term based on the ROE of each country (from the previous term) and the number of applications we have for the upcoming term (from that country)?  

Many thanks in advance for suggestions.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thank you for responding.  Here is sample data file I am working with.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am5Kn6DgQya9hUog6Ctd4kv9KO8g 

Note: I want to use the ROE for each country in fall 2018 (since this was the last term) and apply the ROE percentages to the 2019 application#.   For example, China had a 31.7% ROE in fall 2018 (highlighted on file), how can I apply the 31.7%ROE to the 29 applications China has for spring 2019 (also highlighted)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure why the link didn't work.  I data is in a CSV that I uploaded to One Drive.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am5Kn6DgQya9hUog6Ctd4kv9KO8g

Hi @Anonymous,

To create a measure as below.

Measure = 
VAR roelast =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Data for ROE Projections'[ROE] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Data for ROE Projections' ),
            'Data for ROE Projections'[Year]
                = CALCULATE (
                    MAX ( 'Data for ROE Projections'[Year] ),
                    ALL ( 'Data for ROE Projections' )
                )
                && 'Data for ROE Projections'[Semester] = "Fall"
        ),
        VALUES ( 'Data for ROE Projections'[Country] )
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Data for ROE Projections'[Year] )
            = CALCULATE (
                MAX ( 'Data for ROE Projections'[Year] ),
                ALL ( 'Data for ROE Projections' )
            )
            && SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Data for ROE Projections'[Semester] ) = "Spring",
        roelast,
        BLANK ()
    )

Capture.PNG

Also please find the pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU!!! Frank, this was super helpful. I was able to create an additional measure called Projected New which is correctly projecting the # of new student by country for the sprig 2019 term. However, the grand total (of the Projected New measure) is way off. Any ideas? Here is the revised document: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am5Kn6DgQya9hUwN_a2o34SrNWm5 Again, many thanks for your help!!

Hi @Anonymous,

To create another new measure.

Measure 2 = SUMX('Data for ROE Projections',[Projected New])

23.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Hi @Anonymous,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please share your sample data and excepted result to me? You can upload your files to ondrive and share the link here.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.