Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

buinia
Frequent Visitor

Unique ID

Hi guys,

I have encountered the following problem with unique value in Power BI table. I have a table of client names which are 99% unique and each of them gets assigned a client code which is used to load their data to our database. However 1 particular client has 3 client codes depending on the 3 brands under this client. I am having difficulty trying to create a table which only show the client code and client's data since the master client sheet which this table look up from only allows 1 unique client code assigned to each client.

I would really appreciate if someone could please suggest a solution to help me overcome this. Maybe a measure that will lookup both client name and client branch (when it comes to this particular client). Please note that I can't change the client name to split it into 3 different clients. Thanks

Client NameClient Code
A1
B2
C3
D4
E refer to below table

Client NameBranchClient Code
E(i)5
E(ii)6
E(iii)7
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@buinia wrote:

In Excel this should be quite a straight forward formula of "if the Client Code is not blank, look up the Client Name and return Client Code but if it is blank look up both Client Name and Branch to return correct Client Code"

I just really struggle to put this is Power BI terms.

Thanks

Vivian

@buinia

Your requirement is still confusing, if the dataset and the expectation is as below

Capture.PNG

Please follow steps

1. create a proper relationship
    Capture.PNG
  2. The DAX expression for two columns
    Client Code2 = IF(ISBLANK(master[Client Code]),CONCATENATEX(branch,branch[Client Code],","),master[Client Code]&"")

Sales2 = IF(ISBLANK(master[Client Code]),SUM(branch[Sales]),master[Sales])

View solution in original post

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Vivian,

I think I get it a bit better now, although I might be way off. Here's what my dataset looks like now:

Capture.PNG      Capture2.PNG

Here's the updated version of the formula I provided yesterday:

Table 2 = UNION(
	SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Client Code] <> BLANK()), 
		"Client Name", 'Table'[Client Name], "Client Code", 'Table'[Client Code], "Sales", 'Table'[Sales]),
	FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(SELECTCOLUMNS(CROSSJOIN(DATATABLE("Index", INTEGER, {{1}, {2}, {3}}), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Client Code] = BLANK())),
		"Client Name", 'Table'[Client Name], "Client Code", PATHITEM(SUBSTITUTE('Table'[Client Code 2], ",", "|"), [Index])), "Sales", LOOKUPVALUE('Table 3'[Sales], 'Table 3'[Client Name], [Client Name], 'Table 3'[Client Code], VALUE([Client Code]))), [Client Code] <> BLANK())
)

Which gives this table:

Capture.PNG

Does that answer the question?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Tishchenko
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

This problem because PowerBI Desktop modeling interface don't support very impotant functionality

that present in SSAS and in Excel PowerPivot like this (pictire from SSTD, PowerPivot has another UI):  

bug2.png

for CustomerID "Row Identifier" = true, for CustomerName "Keep Unique Rows = true"

I'm usually start create model in Excel, then in PowerBI Desktop do import this model from Exxel. and second - you can create KPI only in PowerPivot, PowerBI desktop grab KPI too.

bug.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I've been pushing this Idea every chance I get so here we go again Smiley Happy

Everyone Please VOTE - so we can build KPIs inside PBI Desktop (so we don't have to build in PowerPivot and then import in PBI)

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6556753-ability-to-set-goals-and-...

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@buinia

Your requirement is not clear for me, are you looking for something as below?
Capture.PNG

If yes, then create a one to many relationship between those two tables and create a calculated column with

Client Code2 = IF(ISBLANK(Table24[Client Code]),CONCATENATEX(Table23,Table23[Client Code],","),Table24[Client Code]&"")

If it is not what you're after, please be more specific on your requirement.

Thank you for all your replies.

I think i should clarify the final result that I want to achieve is as below:

Untitled.png

I have tried all your methods above but still cannot come to the result I wanted.

Vivian

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Vivian,

I think that clarification does help. If you want just the first two columns in the final table, you could use a formula like this (not beautiful but will get the job done):

Table 2 = UNION(
		"Client Name", 'Table'[Client Name], "Client Code", 'Table'[Client Code]),
	FILTER(SELECTCOLUMNS(CROSSJOIN(DATATABLE("Index", INTEGER, {{1}, {2}, {3}}), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Client Code] = BLANK())),
		"Client Name", 'Table'[Client Name], "Client Code", PATHITEM(SUBSTITUTE('Table'[Client Code 2], ",", "|"), [Index])), [Client Code] <> BLANK())
)

This formula will scale to multiple companies with multiple Codes, but you have to hard-code the the maximum number of Codes a company can have in the DATATABLE function. If that requirement is unreasonable in your situation, I or someone else can provide you with a more generalized formula (and someone else can probably give you a cleaner one either way).

However, it's not possible to split the Sales number based on the info you gave in your last post. You need to give more information on how that should happen if you want help there.

Hope that helps!

buinia
Frequent Visitor

Thank you jahida for the formula.

The sales result is split based on the Branch as I mentioned in my first post.

Cheers,

Vivian

buinia
Frequent Visitor

In Excel this should be quite a straight forward formula of "if the Client Code is not blank, look up the Client Name and return Client Code but if it is blank look up both Client Name and Branch to return correct Client Code"

Thanks

Vivian

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Vivian,

I think I get it a bit better now, although I might be way off. Here's what my dataset looks like now:

Capture.PNG      Capture2.PNG

Here's the updated version of the formula I provided yesterday:

Table 2 = UNION(
		"Client Name", 'Table'[Client Name], "Client Code", 'Table'[Client Code], "Sales", 'Table'[Sales]),
	FILTER(ADDCOLUMNS(SELECTCOLUMNS(CROSSJOIN(DATATABLE("Index", INTEGER, {{1}, {2}, {3}}), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Client Code] = BLANK())),
		"Client Name", 'Table'[Client Name], "Client Code", PATHITEM(SUBSTITUTE('Table'[Client Code 2], ",", "|"), [Index])), "Sales", LOOKUPVALUE('Table 3'[Sales], 'Table 3'[Client Name], [Client Name], 'Table 3'[Client Code], VALUE([Client Code]))), [Client Code] <> BLANK())
)

Which gives this table:

Capture.PNG

Does that answer the question?

@buinia wrote:

Thanks

Vivian

@buinia

Your requirement is still confusing, if the dataset and the expectation is as below

Capture.PNG

Please follow steps

1. create a proper relationship
    Capture.PNG
  2. The DAX expression for two columns
    Client Code2 = IF(ISBLANK(master[Client Code]),CONCATENATEX(branch,branch[Client Code],","),master[Client Code]&"")

Sales2 = IF(ISBLANK(master[Client Code]),SUM(branch[Sales]),master[Sales])
felyoubi
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

Is the client code unique per Client Name? if yes, it's a one to many relationship depicted below:

Client Name

Client Id

A

B

C

D

E

Branch Id

Branch Code

Client Id

Client Code

(i)

(i)

(i)

(i)

(i)

(ii)

(iii)

If not, it becomes a many to many relationship where you have Client table, Branch table and a composite table that links the two. However, there is nothing wrong in having one table with repetitive records because it is what PBI does behind the scenes anyway Smiley Very Happy

Let me know if this makes sense.

Thanks,

Fahd

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

you need to create a separate table with unique client id's only and then join to it.you can the choose for example client id 'E' from the id table and then 'branch' from the existing table. 

to make the table:

on the modelling tab on the ribbon click new table; in the formula bar type time_table = summarize('table','table'[client_id]) - swap out the names for what ever in correct in your model. This will provide a remove duplicates type solution for all values in the table.

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.