Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cskoglund
Frequent Visitor

Uninstall of Personal Gateway is impartial

Hi

After uninstall of the PowerBI Personal Gateway the DIAHostService still runs and the powerbi gateway folder can be found in c:/program files, while all references to powerbi are gone in add/remove programs

Do you have any guides for manual clean uninstall of the gateway so I can reinstall it?

Regards

Christian

(Microsoft server 2008 R2 x64)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cskoglund
Frequent Visitor

It seems to be an old problem where the microsoft data gateway service installer fails to uninstall properly during uninstall. The upgradecode is then retained in the system as the uninstall is impartial blocking reinstalls. It might be because the uninstaller doesn't stop the service DIAHostService prior to uninstall?

I guess this should be fixed by the dev team as it is annoying?

-----

The solution is described here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/failure-installing-the-power-bi-personal-gateway/

In short. MSI installers adds an upgradecode to the registry which describes the installed product. All related installs will fail if they conflict with the key. Hence it has to be removed,

Enter regedit, search for "Power BI" and you will find the product key on the right pane  as a cryptic string such as A12345678B8813744NDD533865FBA1CD under the column name with a path to power bi gateway under the column data. Grab the string and search for the string itself and you should find it in the right pane under a folder in the hierarchy below "upgradecode". The folder with an equal strange looking string is the upgrade code which has to be deleted.

The software can now be reinstalled. Any suggestions to clean up the failing data management service prior to reinstall is much appreciated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cskoglund
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I finally got it installed in a working condition. The final problem was the data management service, getting it to uninstall correctly, clean up after it and then get the powerbi gateway in again.

I finally found out that it can be uninstalled by running uninstall in the msi found in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\[product GUID]v2.1.6040.1 and then cleaning out the diahost service and the associated DIAHostService user w/user folder. I guess this is going to haunt me next time I upgrade as there probably are some files/settings left over.

Somehow the user was not recreated upon reinstall(?)

Kudos for good install logs!

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@cskoglund

It seems that you cannot install the personal gateway because the old one is not uninstalled completely. What is the error message when you try to reinstall?

Please try to remove following registry keys before reinstall. (Please make sure backup your registry keys before modification)

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Installer\UpgradeCodes\503186943D31ED74593B0967D7F11284

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DataTransfer

Best Regards,

Herbert

Buen dato pude resolver el problema, gracias Herbert.

cskoglund
Frequent Visitor

It seems to be an old problem where the microsoft data gateway service installer fails to uninstall properly during uninstall. The upgradecode is then retained in the system as the uninstall is impartial blocking reinstalls. It might be because the uninstaller doesn't stop the service DIAHostService prior to uninstall?

I guess this should be fixed by the dev team as it is annoying?

-----

The solution is described here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/failure-installing-the-power-bi-personal-gateway/

In short. MSI installers adds an upgradecode to the registry which describes the installed product. All related installs will fail if they conflict with the key. Hence it has to be removed,

Enter regedit, search for "Power BI" and you will find the product key on the right pane  as a cryptic string such as A12345678B8813744NDD533865FBA1CD under the column name with a path to power bi gateway under the column data. Grab the string and search for the string itself and you should find it in the right pane under a folder in the hierarchy below "upgradecode". The folder with an equal strange looking string is the upgrade code which has to be deleted.

The software can now be reinstalled. Any suggestions to clean up the failing data management service prior to reinstall is much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.