Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unexpected filter result between two tables - calculation changes without apparent reason

I have an issue with an unexpected measure result in two different tables when I choose a value in one of the tables. 

Measure: 

AG Sum Total Value = Calculate (
Sum(factAccountingTransactions[amount]);
FILTER( ALL(factAccountingTransactions[dim_5]); factAccountingTransactions[dim_5] <= MAX( factAccountingTransactions[dim_5]));
factAccountingTransactions[account] >= 15130;
factAccountingTransactions[account] <= 15140
)

So basically I am summing all [amounts] for the [accounts] between 15130-15140, and this is cumulatively summed by dim_5. 

The table to the left is working properly. I get the correct values for each [dim_5]. However when I choose one dim_5 in the table, the right table is showing a different value, and I cannot make sense of this value. It is the same measure. 
Sum calculation error.JPG

The odd thing here is that everything works fine for 57 rows (or 57 dim_5's, to be precise)  before this issue shows up. Thereafter it shows up with uneven intervals. 

Anyone got a clue about what is happening with the filter here? Or possibly a way to show the fully filtered table, so I can see what rows PBI is actually summing?  
5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I was not able to reproduce such a problem on my side. Were columns and measures in two visuals are from a same table? Please copy and paste from the left visual to test if problem exists when applying cross filter.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-yulgu-msft, ,

I copied the visual and it still returns the unexpected result. It could be that my dataset includes some wierd rows, but I would expect that to be handled identical in each table. All data is from the same table. 

Is it possible to understand such behaviour with the given measure? 

This result means that a new filter is applied or a filter is changed. 

As far as I can understand it has to be either the max[dim_5] or the selected period (slicer), 

but I don't see why and how... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft and@Ashish_Mathur

I've made a non-sensitive model with the required data. This also removed all other relations with other tables, and should remove that possibility of error. 

Link to the file https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9l8z6pkdgrsja8/Recon%20Test%20Model.pbix?dl=0

The error appears with slicer for dim_2 at "BCE" and in the table at dim_5  BCE173. 

All previous rows in the table show correct value. 

I should add that the reason for showing the same calculation twice is that I need to figure out the reason why this is not working. I will in the end show a different calculation there, but that gave the exact same problem. This is only for fault finding. 

Very happy to hear your thoughts about this. 

(edit; added some info)

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ashish_Mathur,

the expected result is that the calculation should be identical in both tables, e.g. the same result in each table. 

The measure filters on max [dim_5]. The list of results in the left table is correct. It is cumulatiting results for each dim_5. 

But when I choose one dim_5 in the left table - the calculation in the right table changes. I want this to show the exact same result, and I cannot understand why it doesn't? The measure is filtering on a max [dim_5]. Has the max value changed? Or has the filters changed somehow when choosing one dim_5? In situations like this I would very much like to see what Power BI is doing in the background.. 

In short; 

It is the same measure, and I would expect it to return the same result in both tables, and the filters should, in my opinion, be sufficient to handle that. 

I  could share some data, but I believe I would have to share the full table to make sense of it, and unfortunately I cannot do that. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.