cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eitanl Helper I
Helper I

Re: Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled

I have just recently started to experience this issue.

any thought from Microsoft? any new insights?

Sparta100
Frequent Visitor

Anyone? This error recently took over my PQ. It's cosmetic as far as I can tell but having hundreds of inert warnings everywhere for no reason is confusing and unacceptable.

ITSNev
Regular Visitor

Come on Microsoft why is this happening. Clicking retry an then it works or step through and it works.

I'm running this from April 2019 Desktop version.

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm facing the issue as well. It's quite annoying to refreshing all the query one by one each time I go to the Power Query editor, waste so much time.

A7T2MZZ
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue now. I found one of possible reasons at Microsoft TechNet (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f55b83a9-a966-46a4-80fc-2cca08fa3a12/unexpected-er...

The answer says: "

Do you have background analysis disabled? If so, these errors can happen but should be purely cosmetic. The reason they happen is that the editor side pane depends on analysis results. If you mouse over one, this starts an on-demand analysis evaluation. If you then mouse over another one, the previously started on-demand evaluation will be canceled and show the error triangle.

Let me know if the errors interfere with the loading of your data to the workbook or data model. That would be a bug." 

However, I am not sure what backgroud analysis means. I did uncheck the "Allow data preview to download in the background." I am wondering if this could be a reason why this error keeps happening? 

I unchecked this to speed up the refreshing speed, since I am importing lots of CRM data from the datawarehouse. It would be painful if this is the root cause... 

DannyTrueman
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same problem getting the 'Re: Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled' error, and I also can correct this by retrying each of the failed queries, which as others have mentioned is annoying and time consuming. However I can also see evidence that this is more than just cosmetic. Before I re run the queries I noticed that there was missing data in my report, and after re running the failed queries the data appeared. 

What concerns me the most is that my report, by my own standards is reasonably complex, but it only consists of 16 queries, and it is getting the data from CSV which has less than 200K rows, and is only about 70MB in size. Power BI boasts about being able to deal with large amounts of data, running into millions of rows, but what I am doing is already bringing it to it's knees.

It might be that i need to get better and more efficient with my query language, and for Power BI's sake I hope this is the case.

zzzzoooo
Frequent Visitor

I've never run into this problem until I uncheck the option ""Allow data preview to download in the background." in the Query option. So, this problem might be related to that option or 'Fast Data Load'.

Microsoft alicia_pbi
Microsoft

Has anyone been able to resolve this?  I have tried to check and uncheck the backgroud preview, I have cleared the cache, I have tried in both the desktop program & PC app.  It is not just cosmetic because my refreshes fail as a result of the queries that experience this issue.  And when I go in to resolve them by walking through steps, I fix 2 queries and another one then fails.  I am pulling data from SQL and have many queries as a result of complex calculations and builds.  It seems to be a larger issue when I use the MERGE option however that is now always the case.  At this point it is a complete work stoppage and I am wondering if the only option is to discontinue using Power BI?

berksie00

I am fairly new to Power BI and was having a torrid time with this issue and looked around to see if could find anything to resolve my problem.  I found the following articles seems to do the trick:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/power-query-background-refresh

For some reason this option was disabled (I must of clicked it off at some point).  I think what was happening is that each time I clicked on a power query it would take time to refresh the view.  I have some fairly hefty queries.  If I got impatient and clicked another query then I would get this error.

You may have to do a full refresh to clear out the yellow warnings.

I can put up with the message indicating my view is out of date.  I can do a full refresh at my convenience.

I hope it works for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors