Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Willborn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled. > After May Release Update

Hi there

Just got the error message "Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled." in PBI Desktop after updating the release.

I cannot load my data sources (several types) anymore - but only those I've added in the April release (or earlier). I actually can add data sets on the new release, and they work. So the problem is only with the ones created in the earlier version.

Could not find any information about this problem on the net so far.

What I did:

Updated from April Release to Release Version: 2.35.4399.601 64-bit (Mai 2016)

Uninstalled PBI and reinstalled it again.

Cleared the Cache.

Anything else I can do? Need to update the Reports... ;o(

Thank you!

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I've been having the same issues. Sent a from. But it seems to happen when I've merged a query.

As a work around, I have to to click each applied steps on the query one by one until it pops up with the "Evaluation was cancelled" and I click on Retry. Can take up to 30 minutes to refresh. Once I've done this its seems to work fine until I make amendments to the query.

Found it helps if you also clear the Power Query cache first

Please help how to clear POwer BI cache

File > Options and Settings >PBI.PNG

@BrianFleming 

Thank you for sharing the "clear cache" instructions. I have the same problem. It seems that clearing the cache helps speed up the process, but you still have to select "retry" for all of the affected tables. I still don't know why the error only affected 3 of my 23 tables. I have plenty of merged queries in the other tables that were not affected.

@Anonymous , was it that you were referencing an existing query and then adding conditional columns? It looks like that's what my tables had in common, but they weren't the only tables like that. I could see that as potentially slowing down the system for my tables, and there may have been a time-out error that required clearing the cache.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I have the same problem with the latest release. The truly annoying thing is that it won't stop evaluating large queries/tables!

I'm getting the same behavior, did you ever resolve the cause?

im getting the same error

I'm getting the same error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.