Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Willborn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled. > After May Release Update

Hi there

Just got the error message "Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled." in PBI Desktop after updating the release.

I cannot load my data sources (several types) anymore - but only those I've added in the April release (or earlier). I actually can add data sets on the new release, and they work. So the problem is only with the ones created in the earlier version.

Could not find any information about this problem on the net so far.

What I did:

Updated from April Release to Release Version: 2.35.4399.601 64-bit (Mai 2016)

Uninstalled PBI and reinstalled it again.

Cleared the Cache.

Anything else I can do? Need to update the Reports... ;o(

Thank you!

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings the same error has appeared for me and it's 2021,is there any solution to this long-lasting error.

CaronTurner
Frequent Visitor

This is such a time wasting and annoying error.  @Admin - is there any resolve for this longstanding issue.  I have spent hours of my life that I will never get back just pressing the retry button on my queries. 

updated to August 2020 release, with no difference in behaviour. 

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

They seem to have fixed it with the latest (September?) version. Fingers crossed it stays this way!

Hello all,

For me it got solved with July's update. The only thing I did before refreshing was something previously suggested in another post:

Go to Data Source Settings and clear all permissions. Then refresh.

That worked for me, hopefully will also work for you.

Regards,

BDonnellon71
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same problem.  Has anyone found a permanent resolution?  Especially during this work from home scenario, clearing the cache and refreshing every single time is painfully slow and it is greatly impacting dashboard availability and reliability.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this exact same issue.   It's August 12 now.  

Any resolution??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Facing the same issue post May release.

Haidann
Helper I
Helper I

anyone know how can we solve this problem??

alan7lp
Helper III
Helper III

It seems I am then not the only one having the exact same issue. Started to happen after May Update. This is very annoying. I can't update my main report which is also being used by many people across the company.

Does anybody knows is this has been picked up already of if somebody was able to create a support ticket for it? I am desperate 😞 

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It started after installing the May release here too.

It does work in the end, but you have to wait about 20 minutes per dataset and click on evaluate on a lot of query steps and wait for each to be resolved before clicking on the next one.

This is why I'm nervous about downloading new upgrades 😞

Thanks for the quick reply @AliceW ,

Do you mean that I need to go to the query and click in "retry" for every single query I have with an error sign, one by one and then and only then I will be able to close & apply and new data will be fetched?

This is insane, it will take me ages with the large amount of data I have. 

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Get some coffee, play some YouTube vids, and click on 'Retry' everytime to you see the process has finished for the previous step... I know, it's crazy, but this is what worked for me (during the weekend, I was getting desperate, as I started rushing it).

I will give it a try. I hope it will work.

But even if it does, this should be picked up by somebody, right? We can't run our reports this way. I have a couple of colleagues having an older version of Power BI and they have no issues whatsoever, it's clearly something they did with May update 😞

I am feeling hopeless! 

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@alan7lpI agree, it shouldn't happen. Usually a Microsoft forum admin jumps in threads like this the next day.

Haidann
Helper I
Helper I

I have the same issue too

Anyone know how to solve this"??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, for me this happens if I add columns to data source. I solved this just by opening query editor and clicking "retry" to the tables with this error.

Sparta100
Advocate I
Advocate I

Has anyone found a fix for this. Enormous amounts of time wasted in PQ individually opening, refreshing, and then closing hundreds of queries that have an inexplicable error warning (yellow triangle with exclamation point) that simply says: "Unexpected error: Evaluation was cancelled." My queries are 95% connection only and there are no detectable problems other than an this inexplicable warning everywhere. The warning goes away after individual manual refresh but there's no way to know if and when something "real" is going wrong. Read everything I can find and utterly exhausted.

@Sparta100Were you able to figure this one out? Thank you.

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

Just got the error message "Unexpected error: Evaluation was canceled." in PBI Desktop after updating the release.

I cannot load my data sources (several types) anymore - but only those I've added in the April release (or earlier). I actually can add data sets on the new release, and they work. So the problem is only with the ones created in the earlier version.

@Willborn

The problem is not quite clear for me. Is the problem that you cannot add other data source types in the pbix created in Apr release than the already created ones when opening that pbix in May release? If yes, May I know what are the already created types and how can I reproduce it. If possible, can you upload the problematic pbix?

By the way, did you send a frown when the error occured?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.