Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eswar_chandra
Employee
Employee

Unexpected Error when launching Power BI Desktop (Access to the path Evaluation.bin is denied)

My Power BI Desktop crashes with the error :

Access to the path 'C:\Users\v-essahu\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\6cc6c47c-efce-49ec-9b3e-ed6f4697c35f\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied. I have the latest version of PBI desktop installed.

I tried uninstall/re-install , system reboot , it still doesn't seem to work.
I gave full control access to the folder but still it doesn't seem to work.
Running as PBIdesktop as Admin doesn't work as well.

Access to the path 'C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\6cc6c47c-efce-49ec-9b3e-ed6f4697c35f\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied.

Stack Trace:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.TempLocalStorage.CreateFile(String filePath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.TempLocalStorage..ctor(String filePath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.FileLocalStorageManager.GetEvaluationStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalWorkspaceStorage..ctor(WorkspaceManager workspaceManager)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeBasic(String userFolderPath, String evaluationFolderPath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeLocal(String userFolderPath, String evaluationFolderPath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.EnsureInitialized()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.get_FeatureSwitchStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PreviewFeatureSwitch.LoadEnabled()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.FeatureSwitch..ctor(Guid id, Boolean defaultValue, Boolean changeRequiresRestart)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterPreviewFeatureSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FeatureSwitchManager.RegisterKnownSwitches()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Access to the path 'C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\6cc6c47c-efce-49ec-9b3e-ed6f4697c35f\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @eswar_chandra ,

In your scenario, I would suggest you checking the Windows Event log to get more error message about this problem. Besides, I would suggest you uninstalling PowerBI, remove the C:\Users\v-essahu\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop folder, install it again.

Sometimes, access denied not only means access denied, it can also means file broken.

Best Regards,

Teige

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.